SpamAssasin blacklisting

Can anyone help me sort out some particulars regarding how whitelisting and blacklisting works with SpamAssasin?

I have a client who is getting bombarded with spam from Russia, and I'm trying to help block as much of it as I can using SpamAssasin whitelisting and blacklisting. A good bit of it comes from the domain mail.ru, but there is one person with a mail.ru address that they do want to receive email from. Will it work to blacklist *@mail.ru and then whitelist billybob@mail.ru? In other words, which list overrides the other? Also, can I blacklist *@*.ru to block anything coming from any .ru domain? Any help would be appreciated....
posted by spilon to Computers & Internet (6 answers total)

Will it work to blacklist *@mail.ru and then whitelist billybob@mail.ru? In other words, which list overrides the other?

Whitelists override blacklists. (If it's easier to think of: Whitelists exempt mail from spam filtering.)

Also, can I blacklist *@*.ru to block anything coming from any .ru domain?

Yep! The "*" matches any characters.
posted by mendel at 1:28 PM on April 22, 2005

Hmmm..... I decided to go ahead and test it on my account, and it seems like the blacklist entry is overriding the whitelist entry. I put *@*.ru in the blacklist, and it is blocking even the address I put in the whitelist to use as a test. Am I doing something wrong?
posted by spilon at 2:10 PM on April 22, 2005

I figured it out: what was happening was that being on the whitelist was setting the score to -100, but being on the blacklist was setting it to +100, basically cancelling itself out, resulting in a score of zero. Then, other mysterious factors nudged the score up high enough to trigger filtering anyway. So I set the config file to score the whitelist at -200, and now all is good. Thank you mendel, for pointing me in the right direction!
posted by spilon at 2:33 PM on April 22, 2005

OT: At my alma mater, the Student Government is considering a resolution to encourage IT Services to stop using the term "blacklist," which the resolution authors say is racist.
posted by grouse at 2:52 PM on April 22, 2005

FYI, if others are interested in this, I'd suggest checking out this MeFi post (and the now deleted Google Answer.)
posted by pwb503 at 4:46 PM on April 22, 2005

OT: grouse - That's sad. Racism will always be with us as long as people find ways to keep it around.
posted by Witty at 6:00 PM on April 22, 2005

« Older Buying A Used Computer: How To Avoid Being Burned?   |   Looking for 70's tire-tread sandals Newer »