Help me discover some new podcasts
February 7, 2011 2:53 PM   Subscribe

Can you recommend me some clever, funny podcasts to occupy my slow work day?

I've found that podcasts with a sense of humor are the only ones I can listen to on a regular basis. The problem is I haven't found too much which seems to really suit my tastes.

The three shows I've really loved have been The Hater w. Amelie Gillette, The Flophouse, and the Ricky Gervais Show (and the xfm years). I guess I'm looking for similar shows where a few clever people gather in a room and ramble on without a ton of structure.

Some others I haven't loved:
40 year old boy
The Best Show
Adam Corolla

I'm up for checking out any other suggestions...Thanks!
posted by pilibeen to Media & Arts (27 answers total) 50 users marked this as a favorite

Jordan, Jesse, GO!
posted by ocherdraco at 2:56 PM on February 7, 2011 [2 favorites]

is wait wait ... don't tell me! too structured? i enjoy it. and it has room for rambles for sure.
posted by anya32 at 2:56 PM on February 7, 2011 [1 favorite]

Best answer: Uhh Yeah Dude & The Complete Guide to Everything!
posted by tetralix at 3:00 PM on February 7, 2011

The Infinite Monkey Cage
posted by Megami at 3:00 PM on February 7, 2011

The Bugle always gets listened to first among the Monday morning trove of fresh podcasts. By me, anyway.
posted by Danf at 3:07 PM on February 7, 2011 [1 favorite]

WTF with Marc Maron
Doug Loves Movies
Never Not Funny
posted by dobbs at 3:10 PM on February 7, 2011 [3 favorites]

Nerdist
Judge John Hodgman
posted by shesbookish at 3:12 PM on February 7, 2011

What's that? Too much structure? Tank Riot is definitely for you.
posted by WidgetAlley at 3:13 PM on February 7, 2011

Too Beautiful Too Live should do the trick.
posted by Camofrog at 3:15 PM on February 7, 2011

Walking the Room with Dave Anthony and Greg Behrendt
Keith and the Girl
You Look Nice Today
posted by the littlest brussels sprout at 3:22 PM on February 7, 2011

The Bugle (feat. John Oliver, the British Correspondent on the Daily Show)
Answer Me This
BBC's Friday Night Comedy podcast
posted by monkeymonkey at 3:29 PM on February 7, 2011

Comedy and Everything Else might be worth giving a listen.
posted by sleepytako at 3:54 PM on February 7, 2011

How Much Do We Love
posted by Edubya at 3:58 PM on February 7, 2011 [1 favorite]

Best answer: Stop Podcast Yourself is funny but not in that "trying too hard morning drive time radio" sort of way.
posted by bonobothegreat at 4:37 PM on February 7, 2011 [2 favorites]

You might like Car Talk. I remembered it for years as that show on NPR with those guys with Boston accents that my dad liked... so I never bothered to listen to it until a few months ago. But I find it HILARIOUS. Like, stifling laughter on the subway so people don't think I'm crazy hilarious. Also, I know nothing and care little about cars. It turns out they're MIT grads and pretty damn clever guys, and strike a rare balance of being able to poke fun at callers while remaining unbelievably good-natured.
posted by dixiecupdrinking at 5:39 PM on February 7, 2011 [1 favorite]

In a recent thread here someone recommended the Caustic Soda podcast, so I tried it out and have been enjoying it quite a bit. Each show is loosely based on a single theme (for example, they did a series featuring each of the Seven Deadly Sins), but even with this structure they do at least give the impression they're just a group of witty friends chatting and joking with each other on that particular topic. Warning: the discussions can get kind of gross, so I don't recommend it if you have a weak stomach.

I second the recommendations for The Bugle and Answer Me This. I'd also add Ouch, which was featured on the blue at one point.
posted by hurdy gurdy girl at 5:48 PM on February 7, 2011

I know you said you didn't like the Best Show, but there's also a much more accessible "gems" podcast linked here . Worth a shot!

A Bit of Chat with Ken Plume has also been very good the couple times I've listened. Oh, and Comedy Death Ray Radio.
posted by frankdrebin at 5:59 PM on February 7, 2011 [1 favorite]

Best answer: Comedy Death Ray Radio
UYD
posted by bodaciousllama at 6:46 PM on February 7, 2011

Jean Shepherd monologues. His stories and ramblings are hilarious. There's a whole audio archive here.

Also, radioarchive.cc is the motherlode of old radio podcasts, mostly from the BBC. Lots of comedy. I recommend the Mark Tavener series (Stephen Fry and Geoffrey Palmer are commonly featured).
posted by tully_monster at 7:41 PM on February 7, 2011

I'll third the Bugle -- two Brits alternating punning and ranting about current events. I actually find myself happy to listen repeatedly. (And I like Chris).

Jordan, Jesse, Go! is also very much two people (sometimes more) sitting around chatting.
posted by jb at 11:57 PM on February 7, 2011

Maybe Widely Ranging Interests?
posted by clerestory at 4:27 AM on February 8, 2011

Adam and Joe's show is on hiatus at present, but there are several recent podcasts available for download on their BBC 6Music page. So, so funny.
posted by hot soup girl at 5:16 AM on February 8, 2011

The Earwolf podcasts are all worth listening to. Especially Comedy Death Ray Radio and Who Charted.

My new favourite is The Long Shot.
posted by Chenko at 8:47 AM on February 8, 2011

The BBC's "I'm sorry I haven't a clue" is wildly excellent. It's a little bit like a radio version of Whose Line is it Anyway.

Also the Bugle.
posted by Rinku at 10:19 AM on February 8, 2011

The Nerdist Podcast (three nerds talk about all thing nerdy - great interviews with TV, comedians, comics, games personalities).

WTF with Marc Marron (comedian talks about stuff - also great interviews).

The Friday Night Comedypodcasts from BBC Radio 4 - The Now Show and the News Quiz - are hillarious, but very UK polictics-centric.

Extra Hot Great (three funny and clever people ramble about TV and movies).
posted by His thoughts were red thoughts at 2:39 PM on February 8, 2011 [1 favorite]

The Joe Rogan Experience
posted by lunchbox at 7:42 PM on February 8, 2011

http://www.threeguyson.com/
Three Guys On
posted by bdotcarter at 11:10 AM on March 21, 2011

« Older Richard Scarry pig book identification filter...   |   How do I keep specific parts of the Firefox... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.