April 20, 2005 11:58 AM   Subscribe

Norwegian Divorce...anyone done it?
posted by svenskjenta to Human Relations (6 answers total)
svenskjenta, are you asking as a Swedish national married to a Norwegian and needing a divorce in Norway?
posted by annathea at 5:50 PM on April 20, 2005

Response by poster: Norwegian National, half swedish, living in Canada and having been served by divorce papers, wondering what the hell to do, where do I stand, WTF is up etc. How does this whole thing work going forward.
posted by svenskjenta at 5:54 AM on April 21, 2005

Best answer: this site seems to imply that your husband (? for spanish names, if it ends in an A you're probably a woman!) must be living in norway and the last time you lived together as man and wife was in norway. if that's not the case, and those papers came from norway, they may not be appropriate.

that site has a couple of other interesting pages (1, 2), but since they're provided by a firm of lawyers they may be trying to scare you.

anyway, obvious advice is - get a lawyer. in my own case (living in chile, unmarried, but sharing a house etc) i know from experience that where you are makes a big difference (wills are almost completely ittelevant here - i cannot leave my half of the house to my partner!).

important link -> this page lets you find lawyers in canada that fequently work on international cases.

good luck. this is just from googling, so apologies if it's no help. i've been watching this post and thinking "come on, someone has to help and not just make jokes", but googling is all i can do...
posted by andrew cooke at 6:15 AM on April 21, 2005

Response by poster: Thank you so much, this is a great help.

I returned to Canada to teach and gain experience as a teacher before returning to Norway, where I couldn't find a job....and then,one day, I get served papers. Needless to say, the world has no floor/bottom/terra firma lately
posted by svenskjenta at 11:39 AM on April 21, 2005

I know I'm late to this, and my experience may be of no help at all, but anyway, here goes...

I'm a U.S. national who was married to a Swedish citizen. We were married in the U.S. and lived/worked both there and in Sweden. We separated and I ended up back in the U.S. and she ended up back in Sweden. We eventually started dating other people who, understandably, found this lingering "marriage" a bit troublesome. My ex initiated the divorce in Sweden and sent me the papers, in Swedish, to sign and send back. I got the papers translated into English by a professor at the local university and officially notarized. When I eventually got remarried, these translated papers were enough proof of divorce to get a new marriage license. The process was very simple, and there were no lawyers involved. However, there were no shared assets and the divorce was amicable.

Hope this info is of some help. Sorry to hear about your difficult situation.
posted by Otis at 11:44 AM on April 22, 2005

Response by poster: Thank you everyone for your responses. They have been helpful.

Tack for mycke. Tusen takk skal du har.
posted by svenskjenta at 6:51 AM on April 26, 2005

« Older I'm tired of working for the man.   |   multiple sclerosis treatments and advice Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.