This projector blows. Or doesn't.
January 29, 2011 5:51 PM   Subscribe

In search of a new fan for an LCD projector -- we can find it in China, but not in the U.S.

Does anyone know where we can get this fan in the U.S.? The fan in our LCD projector died, and we'd rather not buy a whole new projector when it's not a very expensive part... but we can only find it for sale in China. Help?
posted by rabbitrabbit to Technology (7 answers total)
Alternatively, any MeFites in China willing to help us get one across the Pacific?
posted by rabbitrabbit at 7:03 PM on January 29, 2011

I didn't find anything for your specific model, but have you waded through the ebay results for "sunon fan"?
posted by davey_darling at 7:47 PM on January 29, 2011

There's a handful of standard sizes for these kind of fans: 40mm, 60mm, 80mm, 92mm, 120mm. (Those are the outer dimensions of the square form factor.) I wouldn't be surprised if the screw holes for yours lines up with one of the standard sizes. You might have to do a little modification to fit that shoulder cut-out on the one corner, but otherwise I see no reason why you couldn't use a standard case fan. Go to any of the numerous places that sell case fans (e.g.) and have a look.
posted by Rhomboid at 8:36 PM on January 29, 2011

From this catalog (pdf page 10, document page 09), it shows how to decode the part number. The last part, where it shows the customer code, shows that it is not a standard model. It was probably manufactured specifically for the manufacturer of your projector, who bought the entire run of production, and isn't a stock item.

So to get an exact replacement, you'd need to contact the manufacturer of the projector.

You can get something close, though, because you know it is a 5v fan that's 35mm x 35mm x 10mm. It is a radial, or blower type, and not an axial or tubeaxial.

Looks very similar to notebook computer fans. That's where I'd start my research.
posted by gjc at 8:47 AM on January 30, 2011

You can also search on or for 35/35 fans and see what you come up with.
posted by gjc at 8:49 AM on January 30, 2011

Taobao, which you've linked to, is the Chinese eBay -- an auction site. gjc is right, this looks like a custom part. Chances are that the parts you've found via Google searches are part of salvage parts pulls, are used parts, or are surplus.

There are a number of "Taobao Agents" who will purchase on Taobao for you and then ship overseas. This thread from a watch forum discusses different experiences with several agents. I'm confident that you can get one to order this part for you reasonably inexpensively.

Note that due to the new year celebrations in China, it's unlikely that you'll see a Taobao order until later February.
posted by eschatfische at 9:57 AM on January 30, 2011

Thanks everyone. I think we're going to go with a Taobao agent.
posted by rabbitrabbit at 12:27 PM on February 2, 2011

« Older Secrets of the black and tan?   |   Repainting Glasses: How to? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.