staten island shortcut

what is the shortcut through staten island

btwn goethals and verrazano bridges? I keep hearing about some shortcut where you get off I-287, but i don't really want to experiment with my commute.
bonus points if you know what the hell construction they're doing on this stretch of freeway and when it will be over.
posted by alkupe to Travel & Transportation around New York, NY (6 answers total)

You mean I-278. I don't know about the shortcut, but from metrocommute.com:

Staten Island Construction on SIE btwn Verrazano bridge & Manor Rd

There is construction on the Staten Island Expressway: One of three lanes may be closed in each direction from 10am to 3pm and 10pm to 5am Monday to Friday; 1am to 10am Saturday; and 1am to 12 noon Sunday. Two of three lanes in each direction may be closed 12:01am to 5am weeknights; 2am to 7am Saturday; and 2am to 8am Sunday. These closures occur between the Verrazano Bridge and Manor Road to facilitate NYSDOT bridge rehabilitation work. Lane closures will be confined to specific areas as needed. Lane closures may occur off-peak hours on the local streets under/over the SIE bridges.

and from nycroads.com: The NYSDOT plans to rehabilitate 18 bridges along the expressway, extend the bus-only median lanes west to EXIT 12 (Todt Hill Road / Slosson Avenue), build truck-climbing lanes within the existing right-of-way, and implement other safety and operational improvements (including longer ramps and reconfigured interchanges). The $200 million project is scheduled to begin in 2004.
posted by nicwolff at 2:33 PM on April 19, 2005

thank you yes, I-278
posted by alkupe at 2:36 PM on April 19, 2005

so its never gonna be over is it?
posted by alkupe at 2:39 PM on April 19, 2005

probably not
posted by caddis at 2:59 PM on April 19, 2005

When you cross the Goethals, get off at Richmond Ave and a hang a left at the upcoming stop light, onto Victory Blvd.

Continue straight as you follow the Staten Island Expressway. When you make it to Clove Road, make a right (just past Ice Skating bubble) and you'll be able to get on the Expressway just a few miles before the Goethals.

Traffic usually gets better after Bradley Avenue and Clove Road is a few exits east of Bradley.

Good luck.
posted by seinfeld at 9:21 PM on April 19, 2005

thanks seinfeld, i'll give it a try.
posted by alkupe at 8:49 AM on April 20, 2005

« Older how to set up a college computer lab   |   Online collaboration and interaction Newer »