Help me identify this toy!

Help me identify this toy and how it works. It's a wooden head on the end of a red dowel, about five inches long in total. Two shallow grooves are cut into the dowel, and there's a short loop of elastic with a bead on it looped through a hole in the dowel. There's also a loop of elastic about eight feet long (i.e. in circumference) with a slightly bigger wooden bead attached to it, although there's a slim possibility that this isn't related to the head part.

Here are a couple photos: 1 2 3 4. Presumably this does something or it's used for something, I just have no idea what!
posted by Dr. Send to Grab Bag (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

The first thing that struck me was it's the handle off a jump rope.
posted by IndigoRain at 1:24 PM on January 27, 2011

could it be one of those brain-teaser things?

(something along this line, possibly with missing parts?)
posted by ArgentCorvid at 2:54 PM on January 27, 2011

Could it be a top whose disc part (attached at the notches) has gone missing? You'd use the beaded cord attached to the top to help you secure the longer ripcord as you wound it around the top. Pull the cord, top spins for a long, long time.
posted by robocop is bleeding at 3:03 PM on January 27, 2011

Are there any holes in the notches? It could be one of those figurines with poseable limbs, or something like this, or even this. Or perhaps a stackable toy without the base?
posted by fix at 3:38 PM on January 27, 2011

ArgentCorvid is right: it's a puzzle, and you're missing a piece.
posted by Chocolate Pickle at 3:50 PM on January 27, 2011

Response by poster: I'm not convinced by ArgentCorvid's theory, because those puzzle things usually don't use elastic cord. But, that said, it's still the best theory yet.
posted by Dr. Send at 5:41 PM on January 28, 2011

« Older How to interview with those you will be managing?   |   What should I do to set up an XP user profile for... Newer »