Help me fix my faucet.
January 6, 2011 7:59 PM   Subscribe

How can I fix my tub/shower faucet permanently? Details and pics inside...

I've got what I think it a fairly standard faucet in my bathtub/shower, with a single spout and a shower diverter switch on top that you pull up on to redirect the water to the shower. The problem is that the cap, or knob, on the diverter keeps popping off, causing the rest of the associated hardware to fall out of the faucet spout into the bathtub.

The stem that the knob goes onto is unthreaded, and the knob itself doesn't have a set screw in it. It doesn't look either piece is broken or that they were ever permanently attached together. Basically, I don't understand what mechanism was ever used to hold those two pieces together. When I reassemble it now just by popping the knob back on it will stay on for a short time, but inevitably falls off within a couple of days. Should I just try to epoxy it on, or is there a better way to fix this?

(diverter hardware: disassembled | assembled) (the faucet)
posted by mkdg to Home & Garden (7 answers total)
Best answer: If you want to be able to disassemble it, you could drill a hole yourself and put a set screw in there. Or, just measure the diameter of that post and buy a new knob that already has a hole or set screw in it. If you do go the epoxy route, J-B Weld would work well. If you don't care how it looks, you could try to put the epoxy on the edge, so if for some reason you do need to remove it, you might be able to grind/file the epoxy off.

If you want to buy a new knob, you should be able to find one from McMaster-Carr ( Just type "knob" in the search bar and you'll get a bunch of options. You can also obtain set screws and J-B weld from there.
posted by nel at 8:28 PM on January 6, 2011

Best answer: If jimmy rigging the odd design becomes a headache; I'd simply replace the faucet (old screws off; new screws on; might be an allen screw underneath the faucet setting it into place) and recycle the leftovers.

On a second look; there does seem to be enough material to the stem and knob to be able to drill a set screw hole as an easy 'try' of a fix.
posted by buzzman at 9:08 PM on January 6, 2011

Best answer: Those entire spout/diverter sets are about $15 at any hardware store. Installing is usually as easy as unscrewing the current one (wrap a dishtowel around it and use a big wrench, or you can even vice-grip the edge of the spout) and screwing the new one in.

I wouldn't spend two seconds trying to fix this, unless this is great-great-grandma's heirloom spout or something.
posted by vorfeed at 9:46 PM on January 6, 2011

I'd take what you have in the first picture into a good plumbing place explain the problem and ask them. They might have a replacement cap already with a set screw. If not, they may have a new assembly that hopefully will stay together. It shouldn't cost all that much if they do, especially being only a few parts. If they don't have it, they might be able to tell you how to fix it. If they can't help ( or any other another place), try the epoxy, but make sure it's waterproof. Good luck.
posted by Taurid at 10:25 PM on January 6, 2011

Response by poster: Thanks, these answers are all very helpful!
I didn't realize how easy it would to replace the entire spout, so I'll probably just epoxy it (or use JB Weld) and then if that doesn't work out just replace the whole damn thing. Thanks again!
posted by mkdg at 10:25 PM on January 6, 2011

Here is the replacement kit .
posted by hortense at 10:28 PM on January 6, 2011

If you end up jimmy-rigging it, don't forget to take a picture and send it to There I Fixed It.
posted by CathyG at 7:11 AM on January 7, 2011

« Older Help me remember this Disney Channel Movie, with a...   |   Communities based around Free Online Classes Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.