Domain name for Clyde

I need to get a domain name for a band called Clyde. Should I get or Or

Any suggestion is welcome, as long as it's available.
posted by andrewzipp to Media & Arts (22 answers total)
Personally I like
posted by sohcahtoa at 6:09 AM on April 14, 2005

Too late..I've bought them ALL! But seriously folks, I see that is still available. Tick-Tock Clarice
posted by john-paul at 6:10 AM on April 14, 2005 is really original. I vote for that choice. It'll stick in people's minds.
posted by NewGear at 6:41 AM on April 14, 2005
posted by extrabox at 6:50 AM on April 14, 2005

This help?
posted by jikel_morten at 6:57 AM on April 14, 2005

I think is probably the best way to go. is nice, but I think "rocks" might be better because it's shorter and more obvious. Though, if you're not into the whole brevity thing, there's always
posted by soplerfo at 6:58 AM on April 14, 2005 is great sohcahtoa!

It has to be something I'd remember if it was said to me when drunk at some pub or club. And something that everyone can spell. I don't think bonafideclyde works for either of them.
posted by dublinemma at 6:58 AM on April 14, 2005
posted by weapons-grade pandemonium at 7:04 AM on April 14, 2005

No need to only get one! I'd get bonafideclyde plus an easier one to spell/remember what have you.
posted by jikel_morten at 7:11 AM on April 14, 2005

You can be zany, but don't get too clever.
Barenaked Ladies beats Latin any day.
posted by weapons-grade pandemonium at 7:29 AM on April 14, 2005

Whenever I have to look for a band with a hard-to-google name I always try, and first. Also from experience making flyers and stickers, the shorter and easier to read/remember is best.
posted by krix at 7:41 AM on April 14, 2005

dude... ya gotta go with

it like.....ya know .... rocks
posted by The Infamous Jay at 7:52 AM on April 14, 2005

Another vote here for "" or "". Bonafide Clyde would be a great band name, but it's not this band's name, so I think you'd end up with the potential for confusion.

If you've got the budget, also pick up "" or "", since a band is going to be giving its URL verbally a lot of the time, and people will decide to try it one way or the other on their own.
posted by mendel at 7:53 AM on April 14, 2005

When I need to google for a band that has a common name I always search for (using clyde here as a placeholder) keywords clyde music and clyde band so make sure you have those words prominently available in your title tag and meta tags as well as maybe in the domain name.
posted by matildaben at 7:59 AM on April 14, 2005

* is by far the most popular format, for the record. It's practically a specified URL format in the HTTP standard.
posted by abcde at 8:33 AM on April 14, 2005

Ok. I write a column about local music, and have to muddle through things like this all the time. First off, tell Clyde to change their name. Why? Because a) it doesn't signify anything good about the band (it makes me think of jam band dumbasses), b) it's a pretty common word so I'm both willing to bet that googling them will be a pain in the ass and that another band already has it.
So, first off, pick a different name. Even adding "The" in front of it would help, even though The Clyde is almost as dumb as just Clyde.
Second, if they absolutely insist that Clyde is the name that they want to be known by for now and for always, go with (or theclydemusic). It's going to be the easist thing to find when schleps like me have to try and figure out if they're worth seeing. Then make sure that they have at least a couple of internal links, so that it will show up on a google search. So far, at least, no other band really shows up under searches for clyde music or clyde band, which are the first two things people are going to try when they invariably can't remember that it's not
But really, change the name.
posted by klangklangston at 9:49 AM on April 14, 2005

I dig, that seems pretty good. It reminds me of "O Brother"

As far as their name klang, I don't follow your logic. I mean there are a lot of bands with names that don't signify something "good" about their music, but they're still popular/good etc.
posted by jackofsaxons at 10:35 AM on April 14, 2005

Ok, I just got Thanks for the help.
posted by andrewzipp at 12:07 PM on April 14, 2005 would be great, if only "Hier entsteht eine neue Internetpräsenz." hadn't already taken it!
posted by idontlikewords at 1:55 PM on April 14, 2005

Bonafide Clyde might actually be a good band name, per klangklangston's suggestion...
posted by dagnyscott at 2:38 PM on April 14, 2005

I'd suggest that you not only take the BonafideClyde.Com domain name, but suggest that the band change its name to that.
posted by WCityMike at 5:52 PM on April 14, 2005

What WCityMike said...even though you already made a choice. I agree with klang, 'Clyde' has no bang.
posted by Goofyy at 1:47 AM on April 15, 2005

« Older Reverse tv Burn-in?   |   Function room in Boston? Newer »