What to do with myself?
April 12, 2005 10:22 AM   Subscribe

So I have 7 weeks in an office with basically nothing to do. How should I be spending my time? Resources: Computer, desk chair, phone. Goals: Enlightenment, Entertainment, and/or Fast Cash

I recently got into Med school and so will be leaving my current place of employment at the end of the summer. Not being an ass, I alerted my employers to give them plenty of notice to find a replacement. Unfortunately, they've started shifting my work to other people so now I basically have 1-2 hours of work to do per day. They still need me to maintain a couple of high-profit projects so I'm not worried about being fired. And I can't leave because I've already spent my last two paychecks in my head as I will be dirt poor soon.

The question is: What should I do during the day? Does anyone know of a good way to make money or volunteer over the internet? Any good repositories of literature online? Where do you all spend your time when bored (besides here)
posted by slapshot57 to Work & Money (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

There's always Project Gutenberg. I've been reading the Raffles stories myself.
posted by PinkStainlessTail at 10:30 AM on April 12, 2005

You can make some money as a biology tutor on brainmass.com .
posted by duck at 10:41 AM on April 12, 2005

you two are geniuses, those look very promising indeed. I'm going to register for brainmass today and then start reading some Oscar Wilde....
posted by slapshot57 at 11:10 AM on April 12, 2005

You can also start working on that novel or learn a language using Internet resources. When I was bored at a job once, I learned Inform and wrote a text adventure game. If you get tired of reading all day, you can take some of the time to be creative.
posted by chickenmagazine at 11:29 AM on April 12, 2005

You can be a "virtual" volunteer and help non-profits from afar (via computer). Just search for virtual opportunities on VolunteerMatch.
posted by nancoix at 12:10 PM on April 12, 2005

Do some research (medical topics maybe?) and write some articles for Wikipedia.
posted by nancoix at 12:15 PM on April 12, 2005

Help Project Gutenberg by becoming a proofreader here. Even a page a day helps!
posted by mosch at 3:13 PM on April 12, 2005

Learn a foreign language with Rosetta Stone or similar.
posted by CaptApollo at 3:26 PM on April 12, 2005

« Older Dr. Livingstone, I presume?   |   Ring Around The Collar Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.