Where is a quality Seattle diner?
December 18, 2010 1:05 PM   Subscribe

Any homestyle restaurant recommendations for Seattle?

Preferably cheap-diner-style with waitresses who use terms of endearment. Pancakes, hash browns, bacon, BLTs, pie, etc.

Located on Capitol or First Hill would be preferable, but elsewhere is fine as well.
posted by uri to Food & Drink (16 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite

Beth's Cafe near Greenlake.
posted by Cool Papa Bell at 1:25 PM on December 18, 2010 [2 favorites]

Glo's on Olive in Cap Hill is good, but the waitresses are likely hungover hipsters and not your great aunt who calls you "hon".
posted by coolsara at 1:30 PM on December 18, 2010

The Silver Fork on Rainier.

Madison Cafe (was Zeena's) on Madison 1 block west of Broadway.
posted by tristeza at 1:33 PM on December 18, 2010 [1 favorite]

WAIT! How could I have forgotten! Here's the one you want:

First Hill Bar and Grill (901 Madison)

Totally authentic diner, run by Greeks, good food, cheap, crappy coffee, counter service - it's awesome.
posted by tristeza at 1:45 PM on December 18, 2010

Voula's and Salmon Bay Cafe are the only true diners. Vera's is also acceptable.
posted by zvs at 2:01 PM on December 18, 2010

... none of those are in the location you asked for. Oops.
posted by zvs at 2:01 PM on December 18, 2010

Smoke Shop in Ballard.
posted by Jawn at 2:05 PM on December 18, 2010

Patty's Eggnest on Crown Hill.
posted by noahv at 2:07 PM on December 18, 2010

Beth's Cafe has great milkshakes.

Check out Charlestown Cafe in West Seattle and the 5 Point in Seattle Center.
posted by bq at 2:19 PM on December 18, 2010

Mae's on Phinney.
posted by Sublimity at 3:10 PM on December 18, 2010

The Mecca is my personal favorite for a dive-y diner breakfast experience. Uptown, near Seattle Center.

The Canterbury on Capitol Hill (15th Ave) is great for a massive club sandwich and a beer, but they don't do breakfast.

And I 2nd Voula's. Great hash browns, great milkshakes.
posted by qxntpqbbbqxl at 4:01 PM on December 18, 2010

Nthing Silver Fork.

Best diner in Seattle, IMHO. They have inexpensive, good food, attentive staff, and great background music. Plus, they serve grits, which are a huge favorite of mine.
posted by spinifex23 at 5:08 PM on December 18, 2010

Beth's might have the food, but its really shabby, frequented by an 'interesting' crowd, and the wait staff are rude on purpose as part of some odd theme. I wouldn't take a family there, but fun for late nights with crazy friends.
posted by meepmeow at 5:09 PM on December 18, 2010

If you like the style of Beth's but want to stay downtown, try her sister joint the Hurricane Cafe on 7th Ave. The waiters are just as surly, you can still try to beat the 12 egg omlette & Curt Cobain used to be a busboy there.

Or you night be tempted by the upscale elegance (heh) of 13 Coins, favored hangout of Seattle's reporter bullpen. If you sit at the counter you might get a scoop on tomorrow's headline free with your meal. It's at the bottom of First Hill on Boren Ave.

Both are open 24 hours. Dig in!
posted by scalefree at 9:12 PM on December 18, 2010

Definitely Mecca. Also, the attached bar is one of the hangouts (also, 13 Coins) for the Opera and Ballet crews. Fun people.
posted by ctmf at 2:58 PM on December 19, 2010

Vera's, Salmon Bay Cafe, and Beth's have already been mentioned, but they deserve addition emphasis. I have a feeling that any one of them would be just what you're seeking.

Not quite the diner experience, but Wild Mountain Cafe serves a great diner style breakfast
posted by owls at 9:02 AM on December 20, 2010

« Older Best book light?   |   Which musicians rose from homelessness? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.