Tips for a West Palm Beachin' Time on New Years Eve

Ideas for New Year's Eve in South Florida? Wife and I are driving down to WPB for a week over Christmas and New Years. Last year I asked this question and we had a memorable time in Montgomery. So, hivemind, what you got for South Florida NYE recos? Details inside:

Wife and I are in our mid-30s and are meeting up with one of my best friends (same age, not from Florida either). We're all staying in WPB, have a car, and are willing to drive (or take transit) up to an hour or so.

Things that would make a good NYE (in no particular order):
1. A good meal (regional, authentic, and good quality vs. fine dining)
2. A show, art event, live music, or other culturepalooza happening
3. Reasonable cover and drinks
4. Not super-crowded but lively
5. A sense of "we're doing something unique to where we are"...kind of like the Hank Williams vigil last year turned out to be

Any recommendations or resources super-duper appreciated!
posted by dismitree to Travel & Transportation (2 answers total)

Florida Stage will have a 7:30 PM performance of Goldie, Max, and Milk on New Year's Eve. They just moved to a new space in the Kravis Center, which would be walking distance from City Place (plenty of restaurants) and fairly close to anything happening in downtown West Palm. Florida Stage is one of the major local theatres, and is devoted to new work.

Palm Beach Dramaworks has a 8:00 PM show of Freud's Last Session. They're a small, but excellent professional theatre located one block north of the downtown thoroughfare.

Both shows open tomorrow night, so no reviews yet, but both theatres do solid work. I saw the reading of Goldie, Max and Milk last year and enjoyed it.

If you're willing to drive to Miami, GableStage has a special New Year's Eve performance of A Round Heeled Woman, staring Sharon Gless. There's a chapagne toast and a meet and greet with Gless and the rest of the cast. (I can't speak for Gless, but I'm friends with the non-famous members of the cast; they're fun to party with.)

I've not been out on New Year's down here (in Miami), but that's mainly because I think 95 is terrible to drive when people are reasonably sober. I wouldn't even want to think about it on New Year's Eve.
posted by JustKeepSwimming at 9:49 PM on December 16, 2010

There is a comedy show that I heard about which made me say, oh crap I wish I still lived in South Florida for that...not the Lewis Black one...let me investigate and get back to you.
posted by SassHat at 2:37 PM on December 17, 2010

« Older Are my memories real?   |   Metal solos in A Minor pentatonic? Newer »