Purple Cow Video Business

Dear fellow MeFites, please help me kickstart my video production business?

I'm 27 and I've been writing, directing and producing on a freelance basis in the TV industry here in Singapore for about 5 years now.

It's been a great ride, but income has been mostly unstable and I want to finally take control of my life & career. So I started a video production house.

There are plenty of video production companies here in Singapore. And as you might know, Singapore is tiny. How can my video business stand out and be a Purple Cow? How can I reach out beyond Singapore?

I'm quite the geek and I'm thinking of using the internet (web videos?) but I'm stumped as to how to be "remarkable", as Seth Godin says, and go about attracting business.

Who's doing good work in the video production business? It would be great to look to someone for inspiration! I would honestly appreciate any thoughts and ideas. Thanks so much everyone!

P.S. If it helps, the company's called Cake.
posted by mordecai to Media & Arts (1 answer total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Hi!
I'm no longer working in singapore, but I'd say as with this industry, it's alot about networking. Get out there and network your butt off. Have you tried linkedin.com to see if there are locals there? Also, http://www.ordix.com/cg-3d/ is more 3d related, but perhaps posting there in a local SG forum could render you more leads. There may be more local portals for this kinda stuff but I haven't kept track of stuff back home. All the best to your journey.
posted by TrinsicWS at 6:14 AM on December 16, 2010

« Older What to do near Koreatown in LA   |   parse pix/asa logs Newer »