Recommend an insurance broker or company for tenants' insurance in Toronto?

Can you recommend an independent insurance broker in Toronto, or alternatively an insurance company with whom you have had good experience, for taking out a tenants' insurance policy? I'd also appreciate any guidance with respect to whether it's a better idea to go with an independent broker, and risk getting stuck with a bad company at a better price, or go with a company with a better reputation even if the insurance costs more.
posted by Dasein to Work & Money (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Tenants insurance (at least for apartment dwellers like myself) is pretty cheap anyways. I don't think the savings will be that big between different companies. When I was looking for some earlier in the year, I got a bunch of quotes online, called the cheapest one and had it sorted out in under an hour. For what it's worth, I'm with TD because they offered a discount for UT students.
posted by reformedjerk at 1:38 PM on December 8, 2010

I had renter's insurance with TD as well (alumni discount + car) and it actually was cheaper than the car insurance itself, because the discount on my car insurance for having two insurance products was greater than the renter's insurance.
posted by defcom1 at 2:48 PM on December 8, 2010

Also used td meloche mennox because of the alumni discount. They were cheap and easy.
posted by saradarlin at 7:48 PM on December 8, 2010

Thanks for your help. I ended up doing with TD Meloche as well, because it had an alumni discount for my university. Thanks for the recommendation.
posted by Dasein at 9:33 AM on January 15, 2011

« Older How nutritious is re-steeped rose hip tea?   |   Movie scene where an incompetent dad burns the... Newer »