Comperable Brands?

I'm trying to do a social media analysis of SiriusXM Satellite Radio. I would like to compare similar type brands. What do think would be some good brands to compare it to. I'm thinking about HBO or MTV? What do you think? Others? Thanks, Paul
posted by fightoplankton to Society & Culture (8 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

I think your question is a little vague. By "similar" do you want brands for products that created a premium tier from what was generally free?
posted by griphus at 8:53 AM on December 3, 2010

Response by poster: Just comperable companies that could be compared to Sirius. Whether that be in industry, service type, brands for products that created a premium tier, brands that run similarly, etc...
posted by fightoplankton at 8:56 AM on December 3, 2010

Best answer: Hulu Plus is a service that created a premium tier on Hulu, which was otherwise free.

NetFlix charges a premium for Blu-Ray discs, creating a premium atop a premium like HBO.

This is more general, but broadband has allowed for the rise of DLC (downloadable content) in video games (e.g. Undead Nightmare for Red Dead Redemption.) It is often charged for, but creates a drastically different experience on top of the game for which it is downloaded.
posted by griphus at 9:00 AM on December 3, 2010

How about OnLive and Pandora?
posted by demiurge at 9:46 AM on December 3, 2010

Best answer: Seconding (paid) Pandora, also Rhapsody
posted by changeling at 10:04 AM on December 3, 2010

Are you talking about single-product companies who only offer subscriptions? This question is very vague, there are a million criteria by which Sirus could be "similar" to another company. What is your goal?
posted by rhizome at 11:18 AM on December 3, 2010

Slacker Radio?
Grooveshark?
posted by babble at 12:27 PM on December 3, 2010

Best answer: DirecTV and Dish Network
posted by GaelFC at 4:29 PM on December 3, 2010

« Older Tivo 2 Hell   |   How to improve my career in the nonprofit industry... Newer »