You bastard! ... file. Or "second cut" file. Not sure.
December 1, 2010 9:16 AM   Subscribe

Where can I purchase a half-inch (.5" or 1/2") diameter, rounded bastard file? My dad needs this for his specific woodworking and sculpting.

When I search the Webs, I find that most bastard files are described by their length. Dad has not been able to find this anywhere, brick-and-mortar or online. He does possess one dull old thing but is unsure from whence it came.

From dad:

"The file I am looking for is 1/2 inch in diameter, completely round though it tapers to 1/4 inch diameter at the end. Not half round.
I'd like it to be a bastard cut but probably it will just be a second cut, finer than bastard, not as fine as a finish file."
posted by metajc to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (4 answers total)
posted by RikiTikiTavi at 9:19 AM on December 1, 2010

Best answer: For future reference, between Grainger and McMaster-Carr there's not a heck of a lot they don't carry when it comes to tools/hardware.
posted by RikiTikiTavi at 9:20 AM on December 1, 2010

This set on Ebay has the taper, and looks like it's a half inch judging by the adjacent tape measure. But you could ask the seller to be sure.
posted by beagle at 9:23 AM on December 1, 2010

Best answer: And here is one available on Amazon, which specifies it's 1/2 inch diameter plus the taper.

It looks like the longer the Nicholson file gets, the bigger the diameter. So you want the 12-inch Nicholson. The 14 inch is 5/8 diameter. Or you could get him a whole set. They all taper a bit so you can make a smaller hole bigger.
posted by beagle at 9:34 AM on December 1, 2010

« Older Everyone told us this never happens ...   |   how do you heal something with no air? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.