Pennsylvania is long!

Places to stop to eat or perhaps drink while blowing through Pennsylvania via I-80?

Me and a friend are headed to Madison,WI from NYC and we are on I-80 at this very moment (10pm) wondering what's open? What's local? Anything interesting? Pennsylvania is long! Halp! Not rest stop stuff!
posted by c to Travel & Transportation around Pennsylvania (16 answers total)

It's 310 miles from NJ to Ohio on 80. It's 10 PM. It's all closed. Other than the truckstops at various exits, you're SOL.
posted by JohnE at 7:22 PM on November 22, 2010

We are willing to stop for the night in the right area- we'd go off the beaten path but don't know anything around surrounding cities. Dive bar? Anything? Just wondering what's out there according to a local.
posted by c at 7:31 PM on November 22, 2010

There is nothing in the middle of Pennsylvania, unfortunately. Once you hit Philly, you'll find a place, but that could be several hours.
posted by InsanePenguin at 7:37 PM on November 22, 2010

Insanepenguin: I-80 misses Philly by almost a hundred miles.
posted by madcaptenor at 7:43 PM on November 22, 2010

Having driven between Cleveland and New York a number of times, I advise you to fill up before leaving New Jersey. Basically, I-80 between the Poconos and Youngstown is pretty much just a desolate no-man's land. If you have a fuel efficient car, you can make it to the first rest stop in Ohio.
posted by chengjih at 7:49 PM on November 22, 2010

Actually, thinking about it further, if you want to go a bit out of your way, you can go to State College, PA. It's Penn State, so there probably are a few things open by the time you get there. Or maybe not.

Basically, take I-80 until you get to I-99/PA-26, around exit 161. It's about 15 miles off I-80. There should be some diners/bars off the main drag, but it's mid-week, it'll be around 2AM by the time you get there, and it's just before Thanksgiving, so I have no idea if there's anything open.
posted by chengjih at 7:53 PM on November 22, 2010

Roadfood is a great resource for this generally, though maybe a bit too late for you?
posted by unknowncommand at 8:05 PM on November 22, 2010

Breakfast at the Bear Creek Cafe. Call ahead to make sure they're opened. Then stop by and visit my parents. I miss them.
posted by Sassyfras at 8:08 PM on November 22, 2010

If you haven't passed Pittsburgh yet, you should go to Primanti Bros. They serve food till at least 1 and maybe later. If you need food later, go to Ritter's 24-hour diner. It's awesome
posted by Raichle at 8:36 PM on November 22, 2010

Pittsburgh is a solid hour out of your way when you finally reach 79 on the west side of the state. Consider heading to Youngstown, Ohio for the world-renown wings at Quaker Steak and Lube. If you did indeed stop off in State College for the night, you should be to Youngstown by lunchtime the next day, or a little before.
posted by allkindsoftime at 9:01 PM on November 22, 2010

Actually about an hour from state college now! This could work out! I'll report back our findings! :)
posted by c at 9:01 PM on November 22, 2010

Well, the Ye Olde College Diner is open 24 Hours. No, I've never been there, but it was on a Rick Sebak special.
posted by ALongDecember at 9:10 PM on November 22, 2010

The original Quaker Steak & Lube is actually in Sharon, PA, not Youngstown, OH. But it is dead easy to find using the signs to Sharon as you take the last I80 exit in PA. If you're looking for a place to crash for the night, there are several hotels/motels at that same exit; you can't miss them.
posted by Lulu's Pink Converse at 10:07 PM on November 22, 2010 [1 favorite]

Well I guess thanksgiving break screwed us. The diner wasn't open but we nabbed a quick pint ($2.50!) at the only open bar (Phyrst?) it was smokey and collegey obviously, but at least some sort of experience. Thanks all!
posted by c at 11:43 PM on November 22, 2010

Too late for you, but maybe this will help future travelers: The Snowshoe Truck Stop in (duh.) Snowshoe off I-80 is a fantastic greasy spoon. Excellent scrapple, and I believe open 24 hours.
posted by genmonster at 7:35 AM on November 23, 2010 [1 favorite]

Just a reminder.... when enjoying the pints, be sure to have a designated driver. Have a great trip!
posted by valannc at 3:12 PM on November 23, 2010

« Older I like songs that are very electronic sounding but...   |   Seeking Presenters For Our Audience Newer »