French pronounciation

How do you pronounce 'Auteuil', as in Daniel Auteuil?
posted by Deor to Writing & Language (18 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

One Frenchman's version. I think this is about right - "Oh-toy."
posted by dywypi at 11:45 AM on November 17, 2010 [1 favorite]

The closest in English orthography is probably like "oh-toy", but of course that's not exactly right.

Oh, an mp3 is here.
posted by brainmouse at 11:47 AM on November 17, 2010

(or, i could have previewed...)
posted by brainmouse at 11:48 AM on November 17, 2010

Ohr-toyeh
posted by MuffinMan at 11:52 AM on November 17, 2010 [1 favorite]

Wikipedia shows the French pronunciation, which does seem to be approximately "oh-toy."
posted by Gator at 11:57 AM on November 17, 2010

For the final vowel, shape your mouth for "toy" but say "tie."
posted by Jode at 12:04 PM on November 17, 2010 [5 favorites]

Oh - tay
posted by kenchie at 12:06 PM on November 17, 2010

And put the stress on the second syllable.
posted by Pruitt-Igoe at 12:07 PM on November 17, 2010

dywypi has it — for info, sounds like a Parisian speaker to me, his vowels being a tad more nasal and his consonants a touch more aspirated than those of non-Parisians (who can also include people around Paris, not necessarily in the city), but that's a minor consideration.

The last syllable's vowel sound, "-euil", is pronounced like the French word "œil" (eye). It's not an easy vowel sound for English speakers to reproduce, since "-oy" is too open. It's more like a relaxed (not purposeful) "uh" sound with the "y" end, though our English "uh" is a bit further back in the throat than the French sound. IPA would be øˈjə (in case it gets garbled, the last character is an upside-down e).
posted by fraula at 12:08 PM on November 17, 2010 [1 favorite]

Oh - tay is totally wrong. Jode has it.
posted by Pruitt-Igoe at 12:08 PM on November 17, 2010

Right at the beginning here sounds like oh-teyl to me.
posted by juv3nal at 12:15 PM on November 17, 2010

> sounds like oh-teyl to me

No, there is no /l/ at the end. Listen to the audio people have provided, which is far better than attempts to write it as if it were English. The one in the first comment is great, with the proviso that you don't have to add that central vowel at the end (in other words, I'd say -/øj/, not -/øjə/).
posted by languagehat at 12:25 PM on November 17, 2010

In the Wikipedia entry I linked above, it does indeed show that it's /otøj/; the IPA guide says that the /ø/ part is the same sound as in "ceux" and "jeûne" or in English, "similar to bird" (seemingly the RP). Merriam-Webster provides the pronunciation for the French geographic region of the same name, with a sound bite you can listen to.
posted by Gator at 12:42 PM on November 17, 2010

Just to tack onto languagehat's remark on the vowel at the end — it's another question of accent; most French people I know do say it with the vowel at the end (Parisians and southern French speakers), but there are those who don't.
posted by fraula at 12:44 PM on November 17, 2010

If you're in suburban Montréal, it sounds halfway between oh-tie and oh-tay.
posted by maudlin at 1:00 PM on November 17, 2010

As a native Parisian I'd say that except for southern French people the vowel at the end would sound odd in regular speech unless the name is at the end of a sentence. The person linked to in the first answer does add one but that's because the name is spoken alone. Within a regular sentence, it would sound very "Mediterranean" to add a final vowel.
posted by elgilito at 1:30 PM on November 17, 2010

Wow, I didn't expect such a detailed response. AskMetafilter is great. In my horrible schoolboy French I'd surmised it was oh-chur but wasn't confident about it. Well now I know better. And I think 'oh-toy' is the nearest my mouth will ever get to it.

Thanks to all.
posted by Deor at 2:36 PM on November 17, 2010

posted by Jode at 8:04 PM on November 17

This is clever, and as close as it can easily be described, I think.
posted by Decani at 5:01 AM on November 18, 2010

« Older Can I still get Drambuie in the old style bottle...   |   What to read after The Magicians? Newer »