30-minute exercise video recommendations

I am looking for a 30-minute exercise video that I can do in the morning before work. I have one that I like that combines Pilates and aerobics, but it's an hour long and I can't spend that much time.

I would prefer something aerobic but not too silly (please no Richard Simmons), and I really like the Pilates aspect of the one I have.
An instructor that doesn't make you want to kill yourself after numerous repetitions would also be nice.
Anyone have a video that you think is GREAT?
posted by exceptinsects to Health & Fitness (11 answers total)

Could you post the name of the Pilates/aerobics video you do have? That sounds cool and I'd like to check it out.
posted by tristeza at 6:36 PM on April 3, 2005

I don't know if this fits our needs, but I have the Rodney Yee AM/PM yoga DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/094567189X/002-2276300-3128840?v=glance

It is short, about 15 minutes I think. This probably swings heavier to Pilates style than aerobic, altough yoga is more cardio than most people assume.

I haven't been able to stick with it very well, but you might be better. I think it has more to do with me than the video.
posted by jonah at 7:41 PM on April 3, 2005

rather fits your needs.
posted by jonah at 7:46 PM on April 3, 2005

Check Video Fitness Reviews and Collage Video.
posted by abbyladybug at 8:22 PM on April 3, 2005

If you have an XBox, I think you might want to look at Yourself!Fitness. It structures a workout to you based on periodical fitness evaluations. Every workout is different, which keeps it interesting. When she does Flexibililty training (as opposed to Upper Body, Core, Lower Body, and Cardio) the exercises are Yoga-like. And there's a whole meditation thing that is all Yoga (or, Yoga-like... my friend said they misnamed some of the positions). I, as a 30 year old male, find myself following this workout better than any I have lately.

It's at least worth looking at, I feel. But again, XBox only.
posted by bDiddy at 6:39 AM on April 4, 2005

If you practice yoga as well, David Swenson has a short forms DVD that has 15, 30, and 45 minute sessions.
posted by scazza at 7:01 AM on April 4, 2005 [1 favorite]

Videos by The FIRM have a pretty good name. I have the abs one and it's great, but only takes 10 minutes or so. They have a number of cardio ones.

Tae-bo's okay, too.
posted by callmejay at 7:13 AM on April 4, 2005

Hey bDiddy (and everyone else), it's actually available for the PS2 and PC as well.

You piqued my interest so I checked it out, and will probably end up ordering a copy for PS2. Sounds promising. I currently do some workouts using DDR, but I get kinda tired of doing the same thing all the time. If Yourself!Fitness changes things up enough, maybe I'll be able to stick with it. Thanks!
posted by MsVader at 7:59 AM on April 4, 2005

Billy Blanks' Tae Bo Cardio is about 35 minutes long and works up a good sweat.
posted by svidrigailov23 at 8:15 AM on April 4, 2005

MsVader: Dammit, you're right. I totally forgot about that. One of my favorite features, by the way, is it's ability to incorporate equipment if you have it. If you desire, you can use Heart Rate Monitor, Stability Ball, Free Weights, and/or Step.

Good luck with it. Maya (the virtual trainer) can be a bitch sometimes, but all in all, I enjoy the workout.
posted by bDiddy at 8:35 AM on April 4, 2005

This is the one I have. It starts out with a sort of Pilates-influenced aerobic dance thing, then goes to more traditional mat Pilates.
I actually got it from Netflix.

Crunch: Fat-Burning Pilates (2003)
This Pilates-based program mixes low-impact cardio, toning, mat-based Pilates and dance moves for a comprehensive workout. By combining elements of different workout programs, users are offered a variety of ways to tone all the important areas of the body specifically and intensely.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The XBOX one sounds really cool, but unfortunately I don't have any kind of video game console thing, nor do I have a PC (iBook instead.)
posted by exceptinsects at 10:11 AM on April 4, 2005 [1 favorite]

« Older del.icio.us-like tag system for organising music?   |   How to do color correction for scanned photos? Newer »