Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

In Germany, the film "Times Square" carries the subtitle "... ihr könnt uns alle 'mal!!" What does that mean?
posted by Devoidoid to Media & Arts (7 answers total)

I would translate it as "Screw yourself" (You plural), "You can stuff it!" or "Bite me", depending on the context.
Unfortunately, the exact subtelities of a foreign language (in my case English), especially for curse words, are hard to translate.
posted by mathemagician at 8:01 PM on November 16, 2010

Best answer: It's a heavily elided phrase. The full form is usually something like ihr könnt uns alle mal am Arsch lecken, which loosely means "you can all kiss our asses." You can leave out the concrete insult (the am Arsch lecken bit, which can vary) and still get the point across.

I'd agree with mathemagician and say in this context (a movie poster slogan) it's probably best translated as something like "...and screw everybody else!"
posted by jedicus at 8:05 PM on November 16, 2010 [1 favorite]

Yep, shot version for the famous invitation to "lick my ass".
posted by yoyo_nyc at 9:29 PM on November 16, 2010

Best answer: Yeah, it's saying the equivalent of "you all can go ..."with the actual, uh, directive left to the imagination. Sort of like "why I oughtta ...", leaving out the actual action / obscenity.
posted by intermod at 9:36 PM on November 16, 2010

You can all kiss our ass!
posted by chillmost at 1:07 AM on November 17, 2010

Actually the original (here missing, but essential) phrase in Goethe's play Götz von Berlichingen is im Arsche lecken
which is kind of, eh, more intrusive.
As paraphrased by Mozart.
posted by Namlit at 1:48 AM on November 17, 2010

Response by poster: Ah, I get it now. Thanks all!
posted by Devoidoid at 3:32 AM on November 17, 2010

« Older Burp burp.   |   Teach me about Jazz! Newer »