Speech and Hearing Science Careers
November 12, 2010 3:31 PM   Subscribe

Is a Master's required for every job in the speech/language/audiology field?

I'm a postbac studying speech and hearing science--it's the degree that one gets before he or she (usually she) goes on to get a higher degree in speech pathology or audiology. I'm currently applying for master's programs (in speech language pathology), and am getting worried about my ability to get into my top choice school. If I don't, I'm considering working for a year and then reapplying (rather than attending my second or third choice schools).

Are there any career options that a BS in Speech and Hearing science can help one with? I can't seem to find much online about anything--specifically, I found a job posting at VA for an "audiology tech" (which just looked like audiology assistant), but couldn't find any other info about it.
posted by Ideal Impulse to Work & Money (6 answers total)
No graduate training is required to become a speech-language pathology assistant. However, there are specific clinical training requirements, so I don't think one could simply jump into this with a BS in speech/hearing science.
posted by onepot at 3:56 PM on November 12, 2010

I had a couple friends who did exactly that (work for a year as an SLPA between undergrad/postbac and grad school) so I think your undergraduate degree (plus necessary licensure?) would be sufficient.
posted by lilnublet at 5:08 PM on November 12, 2010

lilnublet: it very much depends on the state:

State agencies (licensure boards) currently regulating support personnel have training requirements that range from a high school diploma to a baccalaureate degree plus graduate credit hours, as well as a variety of differing requirements for those supervising these individuals.

In addition, not every state allows use of SLPAs.

It's definitely worth exploring, though.
posted by onepot at 5:35 PM on November 12, 2010

Here is some student information from ASHA (American Speech-Language-Hearing Association), who get $200 from us every year for dues (my wife is a SLP with an M.S. degree).
posted by davcoo at 6:24 PM on November 12, 2010

Are you opposed to doing a 1-year MA at a second tier school and then applying to top tier MA and/or PhD programs? (This would be if you didn't get into your top-tier MA program of choice.)

Also, from what I've found, it is quite necessary to have a higher degree to enter the job market in this field. It is also incredibly important to get involved, network and understand the players out there (and know them - get on their radar somehow!); much more important than the difference between a 1st and 2nd tier MA program.
posted by iamkimiam at 1:51 AM on November 13, 2010

Response by poster: iamkimiam--

The issues isn't so much about rank of the school, but their locations. My husband has a career going on in Seattle, and the idea of moving to Bellingham for two years--either without him, or with him taking a break from the work he's doing--is terribly depressing.
posted by Ideal Impulse at 7:34 PM on November 13, 2010

« Older All space capsules have returned safely, and vodka...   |   Being a writer: Step 1- Write. Step 2- ??? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.