No water to rinse a soapy face

Can anyone recommend a good waterless face wash?

Looking for a waterless face wash to include in a care package for a cousin doing doctors without borders. She doesn't have access to water to rinse her face, and says she's feeling pretty grimy.

Bonus if it works well on sensitive skin. Does not have to work on makeup.
posted by Nickel Pickle to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I love pre-moistened face cloths for camping (which is as close as I'm getting to being out in the field). Target's generic version is inexpensive, gentle, doesn't leave a greasy residue and has a very light pleasant scent (cucumbers) plus the cloth is a decent size so it will last if she wants to use it to wipe down her neck and arms after she's done with her face.
posted by jamaro at 11:10 AM on October 25, 2010 [3 favorites]

Are unscented/non-baby-scented baby wipes too oily? Those are the best when I've taken stage makeup off, and my skin never breaks out or feels gross. I bet they would be a lot less expensive.
posted by Madamina at 11:26 AM on October 25, 2010

Baby wipes are actually great at this. And, they can be used in many different ways.

If you really want waterless cleanser, either Cetaphil or Cerave are the well-known go-to products. Personally, I don't like them, because I think they leave my face feeling... icky. I like the baby wipes.
posted by FergieBelle at 11:29 AM on October 25, 2010

If I didn't have access to water, I'd probably want to go with something like a baby wipe. Costco's Kirkland brand is big, kind of fabric-like, and comes in good resealable pouches in a sturdy casepack that would be easy to ship. My kids had pretty sensitive skin and weren't bothered by the very light scent, and I've used them on myself as well.

The thing about a cleanser that can be used waterless, like Cetaphil or cold cream, is that you're going to need something to wipe it off with, and that something is eventually going to need rinsing or laundering, and you're back to needing to rely on having access to water at least occasionally.
posted by padraigin at 11:35 AM on October 25, 2010

When I go on road trips or camping, I use Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser.

I didn't even notice it was waterless at first, until a friend pointed it out the directions on the back (click on the directions tab on the link - for more information)
The regular Cetaphil daily facial cleanser is not waterless.

I have acne prone skin - and my boyfriend, who has psoriasis, uses this.
posted by KogeLiz at 11:43 AM on October 25, 2010

Also, you can get these in smaller bottles. Try the local drug store. I found my travel sizes at CVS.
posted by KogeLiz at 11:44 AM on October 25, 2010

Cetaphil says it can be used without water, and is good for sensitive skin.
posted by Lycaste at 11:48 AM on October 25, 2010

Thanks all! I'll pick up the Cetaphil gentle cleanser and some baby wipes. I appreciate it!
posted by Nickel Pickle at 12:16 PM on October 25, 2010

« Older Want an IUD...but which one?   |   See You Down-Streaming Newer »