Instructions for Singer sewing machine 328K

Does anyone know how to wind the bobbin on a Singer 328K sewing machine? Can anyone give me simple instructions please?

This model was made in the UK between 1963-65 and the instruction manual is long gone. I have tried Singer's website but can't find instructions for this model. A pdf version of the instructions would be great.
posted by sconbie to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (10 answers total)

ok, this is probably useless, but my mum had an old singer from around that time. do you mean how to put cotton on the bobbin, or how to get the bobbin set up under the foot? i'm assuming the former. this is what she did:

on the top of the machine was a vertical shaft that could be moved left/right with a sliding knob. this was near where the main reel of thread was placed. she took thread from the main reel, took it along the top of the machine to a "thingy" that was a couple of horizontal discs on a small L shaped stand, sticking out of the top. the thread went round the "thingy" (between the two discs, which dragged the thread to give it tension), and back to the bobbin, where it went through a little hole in the bobbin (entering the hole from where the thread on the bobbin would be stored).

then, the bobbin is placed on the vertical rod i mentioned earlier and the knob slid across towards a piece of metal that, if the bobbin were full of thread, would touch the thread.

moving the bobbin (ie the knob, that moves the vertical rod) like this engages it with the mechanism of the machine, so you can then either twiddle the wheel, rock the footrest, or press the footswitch, and the thread will be wound onto the bobbin. when the bobbin is full, the thread presses on the metal nearby, pushing the vertical rod away and disengaging the mechanism.

as you can probably tell, this fascinated me as a little kid. hope it helps!

oh, and the vertical rod had a little tooth at the bottom that engaged with a notch in the bobbin. you had to have the bobbin the right way round (and, i guess, the right kind of bobbin).
posted by andrew cooke at 5:21 AM on March 27, 2005

(and the "thingy" is at the business end of the machine, the opposite end from the main reel!)
posted by andrew cooke at 5:22 AM on March 27, 2005

if your machine is old, it's possible that the clutch mechanism is broken - assuming all the above holds, but it doesn't work, does the vertical shaft rotate when the knob is moved across and the machine runs?

i'll shut up now! :o)
posted by andrew cooke at 5:25 AM on March 27, 2005

If you could post a good pic of the front of the machine (looking down from the top) and the right side (where the spool sits) I'd probably be able to tell you. I've got a Singer 603 which could be quite similar.
posted by fake at 7:07 AM on March 27, 2005

Principal Parts And Features of the Singer Model 603

Winding the Reel

These images are from the user manual of my old Singer. It's a suitcase-style machine. Found it on the curb with a manual and accessories. Works like a champ.

I'm fairly certain that this winding technique is unique to this line of Singer machines. My machine has a very thin, flat bobbin as compared to "regular" sewing machines. If nothing else, the topmost image should help others with vocab to point you in the right direction ;)
posted by fake at 7:20 AM on March 27, 2005

I had something similar, and that all sounds about right. The idea was the bobbin wound until it got full and pressed against a flat thing, which shut off the wind-y motion.
If the machine hasn't been used in years, the belt could have rotted and broken. Please don't foget to to oil and grease it before you use it (and the repairman will do this if comes to that.) Sometimes they drift out of adjustment pretty badly, a repairman again.
Always use the needles made by the same company who made the machine, it matters. Bobbins, too. Always leave it threaded when you put it into storage or don't use it for a while, so you know how, or someone else could tell. Mom would tell you never touch the bobbin tension adjustment, you'll be sorry. That's the screw in the center of the outside of the bobbin case. That's a job best left to the repairman on a machine about that age.
You should look at the electrical cord to make sure the insulation doesn't have cracks in it, and I'd plan on changing it anyway eventually, just because.
end: Advice you didn't ask for

Sewing machines almost never wear out, but they do need a little attention once in a while.

andrew: Thanks for the memories!
I remember my mother fixing her own sewing machine on long, hot, lazy summer afternoons, oil, grease and screwdrivers spread over the cabinet, the window open, the birds singing, and the faint "Damn!" under her breath when she spilled her beer. (Mom only drank when she fixed the sewing machine and painted. She taught me to sew, and that you could use beer to thin latex paint.)
Sorry, please return to your regular problem-solving.
posted by unrepentanthippie at 7:26 AM on March 27, 2005

Hey! Sweet! According to one mailinglist, your machine is very similar to a model 201.

Here is the winding guide for the model 201.

Check back if any of this helped!
posted by fake at 7:32 AM on March 27, 2005

that's different to what i described (from the picture). looks like you put the bobbin on the doohickie at the upper right, and move it up/down to engage, but i don't know how you'd run the thread. sorry.
posted by andrew cooke at 7:42 AM on March 27, 2005

It should work something like this crudely drawn diagram I threw together for you:

Place you spool on the spool holder on the base of the machine and run the thread through the round thread guide up to the bobbin that you have placed on the horizontal bobbin shaft. Push the bobbin in until in makes contact with the hand wheel. Disengage the sewing mechanism by turning the wheel that is inside the hand wheel (indicated by the arrow) towards you. Push down the control pedal and let it spin 'till your bobbin fills up! It should disengage itself automatically, but keep an eye on it anyway.
posted by davey_darling at 9:46 PM on March 27, 2005

« Older Christian art?   |   Preparing for Media Server Newer »