Finding a recipe when you don't know what its called!

Your favorite baked pumpkin recipes, please, especially for breakfast!

I'd like to find a recipe for baked pumpkin that would taste somewhat like traditional pie but have less sugar than a pie made with sweetened condensed milk. I was thinking it would make a lovely cold breakfast but don't want it to spike my blood sugar so early in the day.

The problem I'm running into is defining the end product. It would probably require baking, so that its more solid than what you get out of a can, right? That's not a custard or a pie filling, so I'm not even sure what terms to search using.

I know I saw somebody mention on AskMe that they do something similar for their breakfast often, but I can't seem to track down the comment :( Perhaps they will come along and save me!
posted by gilsonal to Food & Drink (14 answers total) 18 users marked this as a favorite

I'm a little confused - are you looking for a baked good with pumpkin, but not so heavily sweetened? Or are you looking for recipes for pumpkin that one could conceivably eat for breakfast?

If the former: what about some kind of pumpkin tart or turnover? You don't really need an official recipe for this - just a sense of cooking time for the pumpkin and maybe an order of assembly (would you roast the pumpkin first and then add the flesh to a tart? or would you add raw pumpkin chunks to a tart and bake the whole thing together?). You could probably refer to other sugar-free fruit or vegetable tart recipes for a good idea of how to accomplish this.

If you're really just looking for some variety of pumpkin breakfast: I've heard of people roasting half a smallish winter squash (butternut, acorn, etc) and sprinkling it with brown sugar to eat right out of the rind with a spoon. Certain types of pumpkins would be better for this application than others. The kind people use for jackolanterns probably won't be very good that way.
posted by Sara C. at 1:13 AM on October 17, 2010

I live in Australia, so we can't get pumpkin in a can, but I frequently bake a small pumpkin and eat it with butter. If you want it to be sweet or spiced, sprinkle with brown sugar as Sara C. suggests, and add some cinnamon, cloves and cardamom.

I have also made custards in the past and added mashed pumpkin to them.

Another option is to add an egg and a little flour to mashed pumpkin (plus sugar and spices if you like), and fry it up as fritters, or small pancakes.
posted by lollusc at 1:35 AM on October 17, 2010

I'm not sure whether this will help or not, but here's the Pioneer Woman's recipe for Homemade Pumpkin Puree.
posted by MonkeyToes at 4:56 AM on October 17, 2010

Not sure whether it fits your qualifications of low-sugar, but I've found pumpkin butter (similar to apple butter and the like) at the store and I love it on whole wheat toast. (The jury may still be out on this, but I've also read some recent articles that cinnamon can help lower blood sugar levels, so maybe mix in extra cinnamon to counter sugar in traditional recipes.)
posted by Terriniski at 5:14 AM on October 17, 2010

For starters, pumpkin pie is traditionally made with evaporated milk, which is not the same thing as sweetened condensed milk. Thus, it is relatively simple to swap out the sugar in a traditional recipe for artificial sweetener such as Splenda. Here's one such recipe, which is basically just the same recipe you'd find on the back of any can of pumpkin puree, with Splenda instead of sugar. You can also adjust the amount of sweetener downward if you want something slightly less "desserty".

If you want to cut the calories even further or don't want to fuss with a pastry crust, pumpkin pie filling can simply be baked in a well-greased pan without a crust to create a tasty custard. I usually cut back on the milk a bit when I do this to give it a more solid consistency (like 3/4 a can of evaporated milk).
posted by drlith at 5:45 AM on October 17, 2010 [1 favorite]

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but this pumpkin pie oatmeal recipe is fantastic.
posted by something something at 6:25 AM on October 17, 2010 [3 favorites]

Pumpkin makes a fantastic addition to pancakes as well. You'll need to adjust the amount of other wet ingredients. Add in some of the traditional pumpkin pie spices to the batter and you've got heaven on a plate once the warm syrup hits it.
posted by jquinby at 6:42 AM on October 17, 2010

Something something's pumpkin pie oatmeal recipe DOES sound fantastic. But a little daunting. If you're lazy like me, know that you can just swirl a glob of pumpkin puree (canned or home-produced) into oatmeal as it's cooking, sweeten a little, and it'll still be more than worth eating.
posted by lakeroon at 7:08 AM on October 17, 2010

Maybe you want a pumpkin custard.
posted by TryTheTilapia at 7:19 AM on October 17, 2010 [2 favorites]

Another idea that is very delicious--follow the recipe for pumpkin pie filling as usual, omit the sugar, add crumbled, cooked spicy breakfast sausage (we use turkey sausage), and before filling your crust, sprinkle guyere or goat cheese over the bottom of the crust (I like to make a whole wheat crust for this). Bake as usual.

It's savory and can be modified to be healthy (with the turkey sausage, small amount of strong cheese, and whole wheat crust made with something like Smart Balance), and a take on the idea of hollowing out small sugar pumpkins and filling with sausage and veg to bake.

I made this up a few years ago, so no real recipe other than the follow the pumpkin custard directions, omitting sugar and adding the rest per taste. Good for breakfast or any meal with a little salad (with dried cranberries/walnuts) on the side.
posted by rumposinc at 8:53 AM on October 17, 2010 [3 favorites]

You want pumpkin butter.
posted by phunniemee at 9:13 AM on October 17, 2010 [1 favorite]

i was just coming in to suggest savory pumpkin pie instead of sweet. think of it as a quiche. i was thinking of sauteed onions and bacon, but the sausage and gruyere sounds lovely!
posted by miss patrish at 11:26 AM on October 17, 2010

I guess I should have been more specific. I'm trying to avoid breads and such, so no turnovers for me sadly. But I think that custard might be just what I'm looking for!
posted by gilsonal at 1:13 PM on October 17, 2010

Pumpkin oatmeal! Super-delicious, high fiber, exactly as sweet and rich as you want to make it. Try using coconut milk for the dairy. Mmmmmmmm.
posted by ottereroticist at 3:53 PM on October 17, 2010 [1 favorite]

« Older How can I make sure my used sweaters don't have...   |   CALL ask_metafilter(); Newer »