Shape identification question
October 4, 2010 8:11 PM   Subscribe

What is this shape (the one in white) called?
posted by horsemuth to Science & Nature (14 answers total)
posted by robotot at 8:11 PM on October 4, 2010

Elongated hexagon.
posted by The World Famous at 8:12 PM on October 4, 2010 [1 favorite]

No help on whether there's a technical term, but I bet I could say "Zelda rupee shape" and most folks I know would know exactly the one.
posted by Rallon at 8:13 PM on October 4, 2010 [4 favorites]

My 5 year old daughter calls it a Frymond (Friamond?), so if there doesn't end up being a definitive answer, we're calling it that.
posted by horsemuth at 8:18 PM on October 4, 2010

It's just a hexagon. What's normally presented as a hexagon is actually an equilateral hexagon, this one is just a hexagon.
posted by hermitosis at 8:19 PM on October 4, 2010 [4 favorites]

Oblong hexagon?
posted by Seboshin at 8:25 PM on October 4, 2010 [1 favorite]

It's a hexagon, which is just a six-sided shape. It's not a regular one, though, because two sides are longer than the others.
posted by dfriedman at 8:31 PM on October 4, 2010

Seboshin's got it here.
posted by deezil at 8:31 PM on October 4, 2010

i think that's a friamond
posted by lakersfan1222 at 8:33 PM on October 4, 2010 [5 favorites]

posted by alex_skazat at 8:34 PM on October 4, 2010

I'm with Rallon.

Rupee shape
posted by p1nkdaisy at 11:52 PM on October 4, 2010

A convex hexagon with vertices at points A, B, C, D, E, and F, where:
-Points B, C, E, and F form a rectangle
-BC and EF are longer than FB and CE
-Points A, B, F, and C, D, E each form an Isosceles right triangle

It's not an elongated regular hexagon (oblong hexagon) because it's not equiangular: There are two 90-degree angles and four 135-degree angles, instead of 120 all the way around.

It's also not a section of elongated triangular tiling, even though it's very close. Once again, the angles are wrong; that shape would have two 60-degree angles and four 150.

The best I can say (I'm not any sort of mathematician) is that it's a modification of a simple square tessellation. The dimensions in the original picture look closer to three squares wide, though it's probably not exact.
posted by clorox at 3:33 AM on October 5, 2010

Sounds like it's a hexagon. Though, around our house we'll still be calling it a Friamond.
posted by horsemuth at 11:01 PM on October 5, 2010

Tesselated elongated hexagons.
posted by doctorwhitecoat at 11:43 AM on October 12, 2010

« Older I can't tape them back together.   |   Rate the pain from sheer agony to soul destroying. Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.