Trademark registration services

I'm looking to register a trademark. Searches on here have revealed some great answers on how to check if a trademark has been registered, etc, but I have not seen any recommendations for actually doing it. I'm thinking I'll need legal help to get it right, so can anybody recommend a moderately priced service or firm that they have used?
posted by baggers to Law & Government (7 answers total)

Email is in my profile.
posted by anathema at 9:37 AM on March 22, 2005

Thomson and Thomson provides search services of varying types.
posted by schoolgirl report at 9:38 AM on March 22, 2005

Better yet, give anathema the work.
posted by schoolgirl report at 9:39 AM on March 22, 2005

Assuming you're talking about a U.S. registration, you can do it online.
posted by profwhat at 9:50 AM on March 22, 2005

Yes, you can do it online. Baggers wants to "get it right," which to me means a proper search, an opinion regarding the search, prosecution of an application, and overall trademark strategy, including proper usage and policing.
posted by anathema at 10:00 AM on March 22, 2005

My friend had an idea for a catchphrase when we were in high school. He wanted to trademark it. So he wrote the phrase to himself in a certified letter, and imagined that on some fateful day in court, he would open that letter in front of a judge and be vindicated! It's called a 'poor man's' trademark. I'd go with anathema.
posted by airguitar at 10:16 AM on March 22, 2005

Response by poster: Anathema is right in saying I want to do it right: I know you can do it yourself, but this stuff requires that you fill out the forms correctly, use the correct language, etc. And they don't give you your money back if you do it wrong...

Airguitar: that's not a trademark. He may have a claim (from what I understand IANAL) for copyright, but that's a whole different thing...

Anathema: you've got mail...
posted by baggers at 11:26 AM on March 22, 2005

« Older WordPress plugins?   |   Splitting large MP3's into smaller files Newer »