Help me build/buy a mulitple-monitor supporting computer

I want a desktop computer/video card capable of handling at least 4 monitors, but I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what I need (without spending thousands of dollars).

Ideally, I want a setup like one of these 4x4 packages (http://www.multi-monitors.com/category_s/215.htm), perhaps with the option of having a fifth monitor. I've browsed previous askmes, and searched the web but most advice is either just for two monitors, or incomprehensible to me (or current as of 2007). I am happy buying anything I need, but don't want to spend the kind of money a custom job like the ones on that site cost. At work I have a computer that seems to have one video card (Matrox Millenium DVI card with 256mb ram) that uses a splitter to extend the desktop across three (VGA) screens, which seems to work fine, but all the advice I have read says not to split, and that the card needs at least 1gb of ram, and multiple inputs.

If anyone can tell me what kind of video card I need, and explain the basics of what else I might need to think about to build such a setup, it would be greatly appreciated.