What kind of therapy do I need?
September 26, 2010 12:56 PM   Subscribe

I'm looking for a short-term therapy to help me begin to change some very specific behaviors. What flavor is right for me?

I've had long-term talk therapy, and while it has certainly worked for some of my deeper issues, I don't want to start down that path again. I want to deal with some very specific issues about how I relate to people and how I motivate my own behavior. What type of therapy should I try? Cognitive behavioral? NLP?

I'm interested in general information about my options, and also in specific recommendations of therapists. I'm in the Los Angeles area and need someone who will work on a sliding scale.
posted by ljshapiro to Health & Fitness (6 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
Sounds like you're looking for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Should be plenty of practioners in LA.
posted by ZenMasterThis at 2:16 PM on September 26, 2010

CBT sounds right to me, too, for short-term, quick-fix, behavioral issues. But it may depend on the particular issue(s). NLP or something else may be better for some.
posted by fivesavagepalms at 2:22 PM on September 26, 2010

Would you be willing to update with what part of Los Angeles you live in? In general, I'd try university counseling centers (UCLA, USC, etc.), which generally have sliding scales that go quite low. Of course many private practitioners will reduce their fees as well.

CBT has a much better evidence base than NLP, and I'm fairly certain it's more widely available in LA, at least among actual psychotherapists (vs. life coaches and such). It's hard to say without knowing the specifics of your problem, but another option might be the new mindfulness-based behavioral therapies like Acceptance and Commitment Therapy.
posted by synchronia at 2:25 PM on September 26, 2010 [2 favorites]

Response by poster: I live in Downtown Los Angeles, but I don't have a problem driving to the Westside (i.e. UCLA) or other similar distances if it's for the right therapist.
posted by ljshapiro at 5:59 PM on September 26, 2010

Response by poster: Thanks, synchronia. I was hoping that the hive mind would help me find some other forms of therapy to explore. I'm going to research Acceptance and Commitment Therapy as well as CBT.
posted by ljshapiro at 6:01 PM on September 26, 2010

Best answer: No problem - let me get you some more specific information though! These are the university clinics I was referring to - USC and UCLA. (Full disclosure: I've worked at the latter, although I don't currently.)

Also, if you'd like to try the route of contacting private practitioners to see if they offer lowered fees, I'd recommend Joel Becker, who practices in Beverly Hills. I've heard him speak and I know he's considered a top-notch CBT therapist.
posted by synchronia at 11:20 PM on September 27, 2010

« Older Python programming: what next?   |   Help me build/buy a mulitple-monitor supporting... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.