Crochet resources for the baffled beginner?

What's a great book or website for teaching yourself to crochet?

I've been trying to learn to crochet, starting with the very basics. Unfortunately, I'm turning out to be tremendously inept at this, and the instructions I do have are not nearly as ineptitude-friendly as they could be. Now I'm looking for self-teaching resources that have painfully detailed writing and big, spectacularly easy-to-understand illustrations. Truly, nothing could be too basic or slow-paced for me here; a good kid's book aimed at six-year-olds might be just my speed. Any recommendations?
posted by sculpin to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (16 answers total) 43 users marked this as a favorite

I taught myself to crochet from books. My three favorites are:

The Crocheter's Companion
Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet
Crocheting in Plain English by Maggie Righetti

I also highly recommend you join Ravelry.com. Their members are very very helpful to beginning crocheters and knitters! And it's fun to see the projects that others make, be they newbies or experienced.
posted by jillsy_sloper at 6:48 PM on September 21, 2010

I've found the tutorials at Crochet Cabana to be extremely helpful, and the step-by-step pictures are really good.

I'm a very visual learner, so it helps to see stuff. So it was pretty natural for me to pick up the Teach Yourself Visually Crochet book. It's pretty good, too - it's nice to have very many different sources of images so that if one doesn't make sense to you, you've got another reference.

What sorts of things are giving you trouble? One of the best resources you can have is other people eager to share what they know. I'll second the suggestion to join Ravelry, and you can also drop me a memail if you want!
posted by lriG rorriM at 6:58 PM on September 21, 2010

I just did this myself! My mom lent me I Can't Believe I'm Crocheting, which I would never ever have bought for myself simply based on the cheesy title, but it's one of the most well-done instruction books I've seen. I love it and I don't want to give it back to Mom. It seems like it answers every question I have about crocheting before I even get a chance to ask it. Also, it has diagrams for both left and right hand crocheters.

Nthing the Ravelry.com recommendation, too.
posted by bristolcat at 7:21 PM on September 21, 2010

I tought myself to crochet with the Crochet: Learn to Crochet Six Great Projects kit published by Klutz. It is absolutely perfect in terms of explanations and images. Sure, it's targeted towards tween and teen girls, but I thought it was just lovely. It comes with enough yarn to complete most of the projects, a 4mm crochet hook and various other bit that you'll need.

And yes, Ravelry, is a great resource.
posted by MelanieL at 8:05 PM on September 21, 2010

Ugh... taught...
posted by MelanieL at 8:07 PM on September 21, 2010

What about videos on Youtube? It's how I taught myself...
posted by WayOutWest at 8:19 PM on September 21, 2010

I'll second that Youtube is an invaluable resource. Descriptions and still photos very quickly become confusing. Even crafty veterans that I know get confused when reading about a new stitch.
posted by Ookseer at 8:31 PM on September 21, 2010

I'm not a crocheter, nor have I read this particular book. But I learned so much from the first Stitch 'N Bitch book when I was learning to knit that I can only recommend Stitch 'N Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker by the same author.
posted by ErikaB at 8:33 PM on September 21, 2010 [2 favorites]

Search for mikeyssmail on youtube. He does step by step, stitch by stitch videos for a variety of crochet patterns. You can also send him a message or leave a post on his Facebook page with any questions and he (or one of his followers) will answer quickly.
posted by anonymish at 10:48 PM on September 21, 2010 [1 favorite]

I DO crochet and I DO own that book and it is exactly what you are looking for. The entire first third of the book is about what crochet is and how to do it, and then it has a bunch of fun, easy patterns.
posted by delicate_dahlias at 11:13 PM on September 21, 2010 [1 favorite]

Meet me at mikes does some great crochet videos and tutorials.

The website is: http://meetmeatmikes.blogspot.com/ and the youtube channel is here.
posted by jonathanstrange at 3:26 AM on September 22, 2010 [1 favorite]

Another vote for the Teach Yourself Visually books and youtube videos.
posted by geekchic at 7:59 AM on September 22, 2010

i third the stitch 'n bitch crochet: the happy hooker

also, the knitwitch instructional videos on youtube.
posted by sabh at 8:19 AM on September 22, 2010

I also learned mostly from The Happy Hooker, but along with it I recommend The Crochet Answer Book. It's very handy for tips in the middle of the project, and it's small enough to carry in your bag with you. I have one for knitting as well.
posted by purpletangerine at 9:13 AM on September 22, 2010

I liked the tutorials at NexStitch.com, they helped me quite a bit with some of the more advanced (read: beyond chain stitch) stuff.
posted by stennieville at 1:04 PM on September 22, 2010

Response by poster: Thanks, everybody! These look marvelous.
posted by sculpin at 9:07 PM on September 22, 2010

« Older Name of anti-coercion notification warning system...   |   Find a long lost song? Newer »