Who is this sky?

I found this framed photo at a thrift store. The subject looks very familiar, but I can't place him. Who is he? http://imgur.com/yl6nW
posted by wsg to Society & Culture (15 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

My first guess was Mark Twain. After a google image search I think it might be correct, but I have my reservations.

Here's a pic
posted by 3FLryan at 9:04 PM on September 18, 2010

Obviously he's cleaned up a lot in your pic but I think a lot of the facial features and facial expression match.
posted by 3FLryan at 9:05 PM on September 18, 2010

Mark Twain was my first thought too, but after looking at photos of him I think his nose was a lot different. But maybe that's who this guy reminds you of.
posted by amro at 9:08 PM on September 18, 2010

Mark Twain didn't usually sport a beard though. He was known for his mustache. My first thought was someone like Wild Bill Hickok or Buffalo Bill or someone of that ilk.
posted by iconomy at 9:16 PM on September 18, 2010

Response by poster: He does look Mark Twainesque, but I don't think it's him. He also reminds me of Edmund Gwenn, the actor who played Santa in the original Miracle on 34th St.
posted by wsg at 9:17 PM on September 18, 2010

Best answer: Edmund Gwenn
posted by wsg at 9:18 PM on September 18, 2010

The eyes are different, but otherwise, he reminds me of Albert Schweitzer.
posted by ainsley at 9:25 PM on September 18, 2010

Definitely not Twain. He doesn't necessarily have to be anyone famous. It's very hard to tell from the image, but sometimes photo studios would use a fake suit and tie and paste in a photo of a man's head, simplifying the sitting/photstyling process. There are a lot of people's grandpas' portraits out there like that. If it does like the suit is oddly painted on, that could be what's going on here, and that's an indication of not having enormous wealth or widespread importance, just enough for the nice studio treatment. Also, his clothing looks 1880-1900. this site is kind of a good reference for dating.
posted by Miko at 9:29 PM on September 18, 2010 [1 favorite]

Best answer: He looks to me like a European novelist or poet for some reason, or a scientist. Not an American, unless a transplant. Definitely not Samuel Clemens.

I've gone through several possibilities in my head and none of them matches up, though. I think it's entirely probable that what Miko says is true, that he's not someone famous.
posted by blucevalo at 9:31 PM on September 18, 2010

Alexander Graham Bell?
posted by vitabellosi at 10:27 PM on September 18, 2010

My first thought was Tchaikovsky but couldn't find a match among the photos of him online and after comparing, I don't think so. I think Miko has it.
posted by various at 10:52 PM on September 18, 2010

Best answer: He probably is reminding you of an actor or movie character. I think he looks like if Richard Farnsworth was in Deadwood.
posted by nathancaswell at 11:25 PM on September 18, 2010

Best answer: Harvey Keitel.
posted by tomcooke at 12:00 AM on September 19, 2010

I think it's Robert E Lee.
posted by Dolley at 3:44 PM on September 19, 2010

The style of clothing looks from around the mid to late 19th century. I go by this image which is about mid 19th century.
posted by JJ86 at 4:31 PM on September 19, 2010

« Older Boot Camp Hell   |   messenger bag organizer Newer »