Cost effective way to rent a pickup truck for a month?

What is the most cost effective way to rent a pickup truck for a month?

We'll be spending the next 4 weeks doing some small renovations, clean up and other random projects on the house we just bought.

We currently only 1 car (a camry) and instead of buying a small pickup truck, I'd really like to just rent one for a month.

What's the most cost effective way to do that?
posted by JPigford to Home & Garden (7 answers total)

Do you really need one for the whole month? Many big box home places (Think Lowes, Home Depot) rent pickups short-term for a very reasonable hourly rate, sometimes under $20. It's going to cost maybe $1000 to rent one for a month. How many hours out of the month are you _really_ going to use it?
posted by pjern at 6:55 PM on September 9, 2010 [1 favorite]

Think of the unemployed contractor you know and trade your Camry for his truck for a month. My next-door neighbor would jump at the offer -- he hates driving his kids to school in his eight-miles-per-gallon truck.
posted by gum at 7:05 PM on September 9, 2010 [1 favorite]

Commercial truck leasing places will some times rent their returning stock to retail customers before selling it. I've rented trucks for a week at a time to pull my car trailer a couple of times. The major drawback is you are limited to what is being returned and when so your schedule has to be flexible. It's not really cheap though; you are still paying essentially a new truck payment rate plus insurance, taxes, and fees. Cheaper than a Uhaul day rate though.

As an alternative have considered buying an utility trailer? Depending on model year and equipment you can pull upwards of 2000lbs with your car. A light weight utility trailer can cost less than the months rental on a truck and you have it available going forward. I doubt a month goes by that I don't hook up my trailer (though admittedly I'm, uh, handier than average). Northern Tool sells a 4X8 folding model for compact storage for US$500.
posted by Mitheral at 7:25 PM on September 9, 2010 [1 favorite]

Buy a cheap one on Craigslist, use it for a month, sell it at the end of the month?
posted by Slinga at 8:21 PM on September 9, 2010 [2 favorites]

Where do you live? Is there a Zip car service there? You can often rent trucks through them for about $10/hour. It sounds like it might work for what you need.
posted by brorfred at 8:42 PM on September 9, 2010

Bagster is a cost effective way to deal with the disposal aspect and Home Depot and Lowes both have low cost van and truck rentals for bringing material home. Even if you still need to rent a truck those may cut down on the time you to.
posted by arse_hat at 9:39 PM on September 9, 2010

My local Avis has Ford F150s. I don't know if they really intend them to be used for hauling stuff, though. I'd be comfortable using it to haul lumber or tow a trailer or whatever else, but a big load of gravel or something else that might mess up the bed liner? Not so much.

It would probably be more expensive to specifically rent a truck, but I got it as an upgrade from a full size, as I asked nicely and I've rented from that particular location several times. I was only renting for a week, though. They'd probably be loathe to let it go for the <>
I'd probably go with the utility trailer, although there is also some expense involved in getting a tow bar installed.

Keep in mind that very few, if any, credit card insurance policies cover pickups. Amex does, but only with the extra cost insurance, although it's only $12.95 or so for up to 30 days with $75,000 in coverage, which also serves as primary liability insurance. (or $20 for more coverage, if you feel like you need it)
posted by wierdo at 8:06 AM on September 10, 2010

« Older Professional paths in a grad school program   |   What was the notation that Feynman made up for... Newer »