What are your favorite art magazines?

What are your favorite art magazines, and why do you find them interesting? I have been looking at Artforum and ARTnews, but they are pretty dry ... lots of pictures and some facts, but little gossip or other interesting commentary. I want something with great articles to sit down and read.
posted by mortaddams to Media & Arts (6 answers total) 14 users marked this as a favorite

Juxtapoz. Not just art, but underground music, film and culture too. Definitely NOT dry.
posted by Brittanie at 2:00 PM on September 6, 2010 [1 favorite]

You would like The Art Newspaper and the Jackdaw.
posted by parmanparman at 2:12 PM on September 6, 2010

Border Crossings is good.
posted by oulipian at 2:55 PM on September 6, 2010

Sculpture magazine is my go to mag: http://www.sculpture.org.
posted by ThaBombShelterSmith at 4:43 PM on September 6, 2010

Not just an art mag, but truly the greatest: Cabinet.
posted by roast beef at 5:05 PM on September 6, 2010

I'm partial to Modern Painters and Art In America, neither of which is as stale as Artforum (dense, theory-laden writing) and ARTnews (more of interest to art buyers and marketers, and so dull). Juxtapoz is so impressed with itself for being the darling of hipsters that it's nearly unreadable, and High Fructose is the twee version of Juxtapoz, with a stronger editorial voice and better color printing.
posted by motown missile at 10:51 PM on September 6, 2010

« Older Help me improve my GarageBand skills.   |   Secure remote access to home PC Newer »