Any Maui activity ideas for between check out and late flight?

We're leaving Maui tomorrow and the flight is at 10.30pm. We got a late checkout (1pm) but what is there to do that can take up huge blocks of time? We've already gone to Hana and up to Haleakala, and would rather not do them again. We're staying in West Maui(Honokawai), but we could drive down to South Maui if it matters. I think we'd prefer to stay off the beach since the wife is a bit sunburned, and the prospects of showers before the flight are limited. We've already looked into getting an extra night, but it doesn't work out with the condo. Any other suggestions are good suggestions.
posted by tehdiplomat to Travel & Transportation around Maui, HI (14 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite

See if you can buy a pass for the airlines lounge ?
posted by iamabot at 6:18 PM on September 1, 2010

I like looking around at the Shops at Wailea, but some people aren't into that kind of thing.
posted by sharding at 6:45 PM on September 1, 2010

We did a wine tasting at the vinyard there and drove around to all the little places in our guide book that we didn't hit earlier.

And Surfing Goat has a really good cheese tasting that my husband just reminded me of, which we did on our last day to kill time.
posted by chiefthe at 6:50 PM on September 1, 2010

Stuck in a similar situation, we did a double feature at a movie theater.
posted by BlahLaLa at 6:57 PM on September 1, 2010

Have you done the zip line tour in west Maui? It was really fun! Also, if you haven't taken a drive around the west Maui side, it is lovely. We had lots of fun at the blowhole, and someone offered us marijuana as we were filming a little movie from the car. Captured for the ages!

I think we were able to leave our bags at the hotel desk and pick them up after we did a bunch of running around. You can ask the hotel about that.

Good luck! Have fun!
posted by onlyconnect at 7:06 PM on September 1, 2010

Eat!

In the more expensive categories: Mama's Fish House is near the airport and has fine food and boozy cocktails. The Hali'imaile General Store is also awesome.

In the less expensive categories: On your side of the island go have some mai tais and some awesome luau-ish food at Aloha Mixed Plate. Or get takeout from the Pa'ia Fish House and go eat it on the cliff overlooking surfers and such at Ho'okipa.

Or on a completely different note: in a similar situation my wife and I got tattoos at Skin Deep in Lahaina. Then the metaphorically-painful experience of air travel gets to be literally painful instead!
posted by secretseasons at 7:12 PM on September 1, 2010

Oh yes, secretseasons! Mama's Fish House and Hail'imaile General Store are absolute Maui musts, so if you haven't done them yet, now is the time.

We also love doing spa stuff, and the spa at Grand Wailea is my favorite I've ever been to anywhere.
posted by sharding at 7:39 PM on September 1, 2010

in your situation, we rented boogie boards and went to big beach for a few hours. showers at most of the beaches, IIRC
posted by tiburon at 8:05 PM on September 1, 2010

The spa at the Hyatt Regency at Ka'anapali is awesome; it'd be a great way to end a trip.

Mama's Fish House and Surfing Goat are also good suggestions. If you haven't been to Paia yet, it's a neat little town to wander around in, and Mama's is right nearby.
posted by asterix at 8:09 PM on September 1, 2010

Have you been to Iao Valley?
posted by annathea at 8:43 PM on September 1, 2010

- You can kill an hour or two walking around Iao Valley - it's beautiful.

- I totally second the Nakalele Blowhole. We had a blast climbing down the rocks to see it, then just spending some time taking pictures of the wildlife and gorgeous rocky cliffs there.

- I only swung through briefly, but Paia seemed like a cool little hippie town. Get a bite to eat at one of the little cafes, then watch surfers on the north shore.
posted by chrisamiller at 8:48 PM on September 1, 2010

I would second the Iao Valley. There's also an excellent aquarium on Maui. Depending on your degree of interest you could easily spend half of the day at each.
posted by euphorb at 9:00 PM on September 1, 2010

There is a heiau (religious site, or ancient Hawaiian temple) in Wailuku that might be of interest, Haleki'i and Pihana Heiau. And if you go there you can also go to the Maui Historic Society. There are some nice places to eat lunch in Wailuku.

Then go to Paia in the late afternoon. It is a fun funky town. There is shopping and nice places to eat and people watch. I would skip Mama's Fish House, which is nice but crazy expensive and I find it kind of annoying (not the cost, the atmosphere). But if you like the full tourist treatment, then go for it.

If you start early enough you can do this in the afternoon and include a trip to the aquarium in the morning.

Alternately, you can go to the Tedeschi Vinery and eat dinner at the Kula Lodge. Get some coffee and cake at Grandma's Coffee on the way to the winery. If you are early enough you can get lunch at Grandma's. The place looks like a dive, but it is really pretty good.
posted by wandering_not_lost at 10:24 PM on September 1, 2010

Nthing Surfing Goat and Iao Valley. The vineyard wasn't that cool, and the pineapple wine is horrible, but YMMV.
posted by that's candlepin at 10:20 AM on September 2, 2010

« Older My robot half   |   Enhanced 'comments' in Microsoft Word ? Newer »