What blog service plays nicely in a subdomain?

I have an existing website/domain and would like to *quickly* add a blog, probably at blog.myexistingdomain.com. What blogish services make this easy?
posted by Moistener to Technology (14 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Pretty much any of them should do this. I know Blogspot does.
posted by kindall at 11:54 AM on August 23, 2010

Most hosting companies offer an option for "one click" installation of blog software, like Wordpress. I'd check that first--it's super fast and easy.
posted by shamash at 11:56 AM on August 23, 2010 [1 favorite]

Wordpress, too.

But in general, I think this is more a function of your host and hosted file structure rather than the blog platform you choose.
posted by nosugrefneb at 11:59 AM on August 23, 2010

Tumblr has a simple setting for exactly that.
posted by maniactown at 12:01 PM on August 23, 2010

Nthing what shamash said.

You might also be able to use simpleScripts.
posted by royalsong at 12:01 PM on August 23, 2010

Response by poster: I like/use python and have no desire to faff about with php-based honkery. Python FTW.
posted by Moistener at 12:02 PM on August 23, 2010

blogspot, tumblr, or wordpress.com all have the capability to give you hosted service pointing at whatever domain (or subdomain) you want. They manage the CMS, you just have to do the DNS stuff and add to the configuration. You can get free accounts on all 3 of these services and see which one has the clearest interface and instructions on how to do so. They're all pretty clear cut. Though I *think* the wordpress version costs money for using a custom domain. Not remembering specifically at the moment now though.
posted by artlung at 12:09 PM on August 23, 2010

Oh, and if you're a python bigot*, wordpress is in php under the hood, if that matters. no idea what tumblr and blogspot/blogger are written in.

*i say that with love
posted by artlung at 12:11 PM on August 23, 2010

Response by poster: >no idea what tumblr and blogspot/blogger are written in.

Probably LOGO.
posted by Moistener at 12:17 PM on August 23, 2010

If it helps, here's a list of python-based blog software.
posted by General Malaise at 12:17 PM on August 23, 2010

Hold it there sport, I think Tumblr might be written by pythonistas. No need to slam as LOGO. Nary a turtle to be found that I've seen.
posted by artlung at 12:28 PM on August 23, 2010 [1 favorite]

I just throw Posterous out there. If you want to be trendy. Cost = free.
posted by i_am_a_Jedi at 6:15 PM on August 23, 2010

Are you going to be hacking your blogging/CMS solution?

If no, why does it matter what language it's written in?

If yes, well, you have a list of Python software.
posted by asciident at 9:16 PM on August 23, 2010

I did exactly the same with Tumblr. It was dead easy as I just set up a A name record for blog.mydomain.com and changed one setting in their preferences. It was up and running within 5 minutes.

I'm aware that other blogs can support it, so I'd look at how easy they are to use, set up, configure and customise. I looked at the documentation for creating a custom designed site in Blogger and didn't understand a word of it. No wonder that many people just use the standard templates.

On the flip side, the Tumblr documentation (whilst limited) was pretty reasonable, explained everything I needed to know and - above all - made it very simple to integrate into my existing design so that people flipping between my blog and the rest of the site didn't realise that they were running on separate platforms.
posted by mr_silver at 5:37 AM on August 24, 2010

« Older Peachtree Accounting from Quickbooks, learning...   |   What is the best thing to do? Newer »