look, backwards with no hands...
August 19, 2010 9:14 AM   Subscribe

Where can I find California state laws regarding driving a vehicle in reverse?

We were hit last night by a vehicle driving a relatively long distance in reverse. It seemed to be the major contributing factor to the accident. I'm interested in any laws, regarding driving backwards, that would be applicable. Official documentation would be helpful, as I can't seem to find anything. Thanks.
posted by SpacemanStix to Grab Bag (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Try just looking for reckless or careless driving. There's probably a lot of leeway, and going in reverse any farther than out of one's driveway will probably be seen as reckless/careless by insurance companies, juries and so on.
posted by Etrigan at 9:25 AM on August 19, 2010

Have you looked at the DMV's website?
posted by birdherder at 9:26 AM on August 19, 2010

Best answer: From the DMV website, you want Vehicle Code 22106: Starting or backing when unsafe.
posted by ambrosia at 9:38 AM on August 19, 2010

Best answer: It's worth noting that the term "highway" as used in California state vehicle code does not conform to common usage: it means basically any public street.
posted by mr_roboto at 10:25 AM on August 19, 2010

Response by poster: Thanks everyone for the feedback.
posted by SpacemanStix at 6:41 AM on August 20, 2010

« Older Afternoon + evening in San Jose, Costa Rica   |   Should I quit therapy for financial reasons? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.