Office mail system

I'm looking for a small network mail app (freeware, preferably) to use in a small business.

I've got two computers networked, and I would like to have a messaging system that isn't a full blown email app, but enables me to send and reply to messages, and view older messages. This would mostly be for phone messages and to pass on `to do' notes. Any suggestions?
posted by tomble to Computers & Internet (5 answers total)

I searched for "while you were out" phone messages and got many different things, like calltrak.
posted by Mean Mr. Bucket at 7:06 AM on March 12, 2005

Pegasus mail client with Mercury mail server is pretty easy to set up and run with very small overhead. It allows you to do everything you ask for.
posted by schnee at 7:10 AM on March 12, 2005

You could also just do IM. Or just kermit notes.txt back and forth har har.
posted by Mean Mr. Bucket at 7:22 AM on March 12, 2005

Jabber would be excellent for something like this... not only does it support multiple messaging protocols, I believe it supports SMS. You can turn on logging also for an archive of old messages.
posted by jackofsaxons at 7:49 AM on March 12, 2005

Don't overthink it. If the computers are connected to the Internet, set up a webmail or IM app on each one of them.
posted by bh at 12:23 AM on March 13, 2005

« Older Midwife recommendations for New York City   |   bloglines trouble Newer »