Mainstream Media + Men = ???

Any great reads about Hollywood's effect on men?

I've read a lot of discourse on the internet about how Hollywood affects women. You know, that, as a woman, the movies would potentially lead me to believe that, in the midst of living my life, working on my career, and having fun lip-synching with my girlfriends in my pajamas with a wooden spoon as a stand-in for a microphone, I'd meet a man, who would really be The One that I was destined to spend the rest of my life with. Said man and I would wind up in some kind of crazy, bond-forging hijinks, and my life-adventure would end once he and I were wed.

I was recently watching the preview for Scott Pilgrim vs The World, and I got to wondering if anyone had written about the messages that men receive from the studio executives, or any discussion on their effects. I mean, someone has got to be actively wondering about how young men might have their worldview formed by the movies they've watched. I've tried googling, but I wasn't able to find what I was looking for, probably because of a lack of google-fu. Any help would be appreciated!
posted by mornie_alantie to Writing & Language (7 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

Jackson Katz addresses this issue in his work, especially in his film Tough Guise.
posted by hurdy gurdy girl at 12:39 AM on August 4, 2010

Oops, hit post too soon. Since you are looking primarily for written sources, I meant to include a link to some of his publications.
posted by hurdy gurdy girl at 12:41 AM on August 4, 2010

I think you might find Susan Bordo's The Male Body interesting. It's not limited to just Hollywood, but at the very least, you might find some of the sources Bordo cites to be helpful.
posted by giraffe at 5:50 AM on August 4, 2010 [1 favorite]

This book speaks purely to male body image problems, but it could fit the bill.

The Adonis Complex: The Secret Crisis of Male Body Obsession
posted by fso at 6:00 AM on August 4, 2010 [1 favorite]

">Susan Faludi's Stiffed is about the effects on men of modern culture in general, but may have some useful info - I see there's a chapter on Rambo: First Blood. (I read it many years ago, enjoyed it but don't remember specifics.)
posted by anshuman at 8:24 AM on August 4, 2010

Seconding giraffe -- The Male Body is a fantastic book. It has at least one chapter about the new form(s) of masculinity that emerged in the 1950s, primarily through cinema.
posted by pluckemin at 9:05 AM on August 4, 2010

There's a good amount of this kind of thing in Chuck Klosterman's Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto.

Obviously, if you're looking for stuff with an academic bent, this probably isn't what you're looking for
posted by Jahaza at 9:36 AM on August 4, 2010 [1 favorite]

« Older Beware the Undertrow!   |   Mental Health Care in NSW for cheap? Newer »