Help me wrangle Wordpress categories

How can I make Wordpress.com posts show up as full text instead of summary in category links?

I’m working on a wordpress.com website and running into a problem. I want users to be able to click on a category link (e.g., mysite.wordpress.com/category/category-name) and then see all the posts categorized there -- but I want them to see the complete post, rather than a preview. How do I change this setting?? It seems like something that should be obvious, but I can’t find it anywhere. Thanks!
posted by hansbrough to Computers & Internet (7 answers total)

When I've run into that kind of thing on themes it's been a quick fix to edit the theme and say to show the full post instead of the excerpt. Here's where it gets wonky for you though, Wordpress.com is a blog using WordPress MU, so if you edit the theme you're not editing the theme on your blog, you're editing the theme on all of the Wordpress.com blogs (if I'm remembering how they explained things right).

I might be remembering wrong, but this is a question that would gt an answer pretty quickly on their fora. This thread makes me think that you're going to have to pick between your current theme and having the entire post on the category page.
posted by theichibun at 7:09 PM on August 2, 2010

If you can't find an easily configurable something-or-other on the Dashboard, it may be that you'd need to edit the PHP templates for your theme to make it do what you want. Unfortunately, I don't think that's possible with blogs hosted at wordpress.com.

(More specifically I believe the issue is that The Loop is calling the_excerpt() on archive pages, and you want it to call the_content() instead. If it turns out that you can edit themes, I can try to explain more.)
posted by danb at 7:11 PM on August 2, 2010

danb and theichibun are exactly right - you need to edit your archives.php (or loop.php, depending on the version of WordPress) - which wordpress.com doesn't let you do.
posted by primer_dimer at 1:20 AM on August 3, 2010

Response by poster: Thanks all for the info! Do you know if there's a way to search for themes based on this feature - or can anyone recommend a (simple, clean-looking) theme that does what I want?
posted by hansbrough at 6:57 AM on August 3, 2010

Hi hansbrough -- I'm not really up on the specifics of themes, unfortunately. Does your blog come with a bunch of themes already installed? Maybe you can open Dashboard > Appearance > Themes in one browser tab and mysite.wordpress.com/category/category-name in another, and flip through them quickly that way?
posted by danb at 9:08 PM on August 4, 2010

WordPress also lets you preview the theme. The preview is basically fully functional. Not a great choice, but it sure does beat waiting for the thing to load.
posted by theichibun at 5:52 AM on August 5, 2010

Response by poster: Thanks again, everyone!
posted by hansbrough at 6:46 AM on August 15, 2010

« Older Collecting Rare Books   |   CROSSFIRE! Newer »