How do I synch Audio in an .AVI?

I've got an .avi file whose audio has come unstuck in time. Is there some easy Mac OS X solution to re-sync this audio? Basically, is there any software out there that will let me take apart the file, and then glue it back together with the audio two seconds later?
posted by hughbot to Computers & Internet (5 answers total)

I would love an answer to this for PC users as well.
posted by PinkStainlessTail at 12:23 PM on March 8, 2005

In VLC Player you can set a time in milliseconds to offset the audio from the video.

This only helps you with playback; it doesn't actually change the physical file. But it will at least make the file watchable.
posted by bcwinters at 12:58 PM on March 8, 2005

As always, mencoder does the trick, with the -delay option. MPlayer/mencoder runs on pretty much anything these days, no?
posted by fvw at 1:13 PM on March 8, 2005

How would I do this in VLC? Do I need to use the console?

Please help, text commands scare me.
posted by hughbot at 2:35 PM on March 8, 2005

For PinkStainlessTail, I've done this on a PC with virtualdub, instructions here.

For VLC in Windows (probably same on MAC as it's the same codebase), Settings->Preferences. Tick "Advanced options" in the bottom right, change "audio desynchronization compensation" under Audio.
posted by quiet at 4:17 PM on March 8, 2005

« Older Networks? Servers? Huh?   |   a historic / an historic ? Newer »