Gel-filled hacky sacks?
July 27, 2010 7:40 AM   Subscribe

Help me find a gel-filled ball which I think may be a hacky sack?

So I've had a hacky sack (at least, that's how I've been using it) for a while now, that was given to me a while back. I have no idea where it's from. With a lot of use, it's gotten rather broken in a variety of ways - outer fabric tearing, and the inside puncturing. But this is where it gets interesting: the inside seems to be a soft plastic (or rubber) shell, filled with some sort of gel - it's a little sticky, but firm, kind of what I imagine ballistics gel to be like. I'd like to replace it.

The problem, of course, is that every search I perform anywhere for 'hacky sack' or 'footbag' come sup with a bunch of beanbags, filled with sand, plastic pellets, or metal. Searches for 'gel footbag' or 'gel hacky sack' turn up nothing relevant, as far as I can tell.

So, what is it I've got? Is it really a hacky sack at all? What's the correct term for them, so as I can find one for sale?
posted by Dysk to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (9 answers total)
Are you sure it's not a squeezeball?
posted by smorange at 7:42 AM on July 27, 2010

It sounds like it could be a stress ball?
posted by phoenixy at 7:43 AM on July 27, 2010

Is it a stress ball?
posted by runningwithscissors at 7:43 AM on July 27, 2010

couldnt find anything except someone talking about a "gel" one on this facebook discussion board:
posted by KogeLiz at 7:48 AM on July 27, 2010

I think I had one of these growing up. The outside fabric was swimsuit material, and the inside was a gooey gel that smelled highly toxic.

I have no idea what it was called or where we got it, but I'm pretty sure it was a pool toy (the swimsuit material got soggy so when you threw it at people it would splash and the gel allowed it to float). Maybe that will help you search?

It's definitely a kid's toy, though. Try looking at a Toys R Us or similar.
posted by phunniemee at 8:00 AM on July 27, 2010

Is it a silicone juggling ball?
posted by cmoj at 8:09 AM on July 27, 2010

Maybe a Waboba (or generic equivalent)?
posted by The Winsome Parker Lewis at 8:28 AM on July 27, 2010

runningwithscissors has it, it's a stress ball. They're a popular promotional item for corporate giveaways, so I always have one or two bouncing around my desk somewhere.
posted by platinum at 10:58 AM on July 27, 2010

Response by poster: The Waboba and juggling balls look closest (I'll have to trip to a toy shop and have a poke around), but it definetely wasn't a stress ball - squeezing it to deform as you would with a stress ball would have broken the ball I had by tearing the insides apart - the 'gel' is firm, and cuts in it won't re-stick or heal...
posted by Dysk at 1:48 AM on July 28, 2010

« Older Past History   |   The Right Tool For the Job? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.