Marco...POLO!!

My autistic, mobility impaired cousin would love to have some fun the family pool this summer, can you help us find an adult version of this?

It doesn't have to have the bright colors or even the shade thing, but we need an adult swim ring that will support his back to keep him upright and netting in the bottom to put his legs through so he won't fall out. He loves to be in the pool, but he'd love it even more if we didn't have to hold him the entire time he was in there. He's about 5'6", 120 lbs.

Thanks in advance for the help!
posted by julie_of_the_jungle to Shopping (9 answers total)

Would something like this or this work? "Pool lounge" seems to be the operative keyword.
posted by desjardins at 2:12 PM on July 12, 2010

Response by poster: We need something he can be sitting in without worrying about falling off the sides and drowning, but not a life jacket because chaffing/armpit issues. Thanks though!
posted by julie_of_the_jungle at 2:14 PM on July 12, 2010

How about a Fly Fishing Tube. There are a number of others on the site.
posted by chiefthe at 2:19 PM on July 12, 2010 [1 favorite]

A slightly different approach is shown in the 5th item on this page of disability pool solutions - a floating disc with an adjustable neck collar. Could that work for him?
posted by Hardcore Poser at 2:22 PM on July 12, 2010

I would still suggest a life jacket for various variations on playing in the water, though clearly he wouldn't be out there as a nonswimmer on his own, but maybe you can reduce the chafing by using a rash guard.
posted by Madamina at 2:30 PM on July 12, 2010

Something like this may work. Try searching for disabled swim aid. My cousin has been wheelchair bound since his car was hit by a drunk driver 10 years ago. He was able to regain some leg movement using a similar device during aquatherapy.
posted by melissasaurus at 2:44 PM on July 12, 2010

I haven't run across one, but I have often found things for my autistic kids/clients by searching with the term "occupational therapy" or "occupational therapist". Apparently, they get all the fun, clever toys. Alternately, you might try modifying a life jacket. It's easier than you think. Just cut the fabric and foam where you want it lower. The fabric will fray some, but it's not a big deal. For my autistic kids I gradually cut away the foam and fabric of their life jackets until they could swim. You can cut open the inside of a life jacket and pull out the layers of foam to cut/modify and replace as you need.
posted by kch at 6:10 PM on July 12, 2010

This article on ASK has a section devoted to swim. And here's a different site that has a bunch of options.
posted by shesaysgo at 6:22 PM on July 12, 2010

Would he be comfortable in something like this?

There are also a handful of noodle and net combinations: here and here.

If his bottom is lower than his knees, it should be more difficult for him to roll out. Scrolling through the "Customers who bought this item also bought:" show a number of variations on the theme of sitting in the water with the back and arms supported.
posted by wg at 6:38 PM on July 12, 2010

« Older How can I pre-order the paperback version of a...   |   Kids Activities in Murfreesboro/Nashville TN Newer »