Rice Cake-Induced Scurvy
July 9, 2010 8:25 AM   Subscribe

My diet pretty much revolves around rice cakes. They're easy, quick, crunchy, and kind of tasty. What are some things I can put on them to get a bit more variety and nutrition, beyond my usual staples of cream cheese and cheddar?

The quicker the better, but I could occasionally put some time into preparing things in advance. Also, I am not a big fan of sweet things like preserves or honey. Lastly, I eat rice cakes for breakfast and dinner almost every day, and I am not a picky eater at all (just kind of lazy), so any type of food goes.
posted by thegreatfleecircus to Food & Drink (13 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

hummus
pate
peanut butter
artichoke and spinach dip
salsa
guacamole
deli meat
posted by Polychrome at 8:29 AM on July 9, 2010

I love cream cheese with marmite/vegemite - but of course that depends if you like it or not. Other yummy things to put on top of cream cheese include gherkins/pickles, and sliced jalapenos. I also sometimes have tuna mayo on rice cakes, or ham and pickle. Smoked salmon and cream cheese would make an haute cuisine rice cake. Try other cheeses too - goat's cheese with roasted peppers or sundried tomatoes would be delicious, as would brie and sliced grapes.
posted by schmoo at 8:32 AM on July 9, 2010

Oh! For breakfast - quick scrambled eggs.
posted by schmoo at 8:33 AM on July 9, 2010

It involves prep, but bruschetta would be nice. You can make a bunch on the weekend and it will last through the week no problem.
posted by sunshinesky at 8:40 AM on July 9, 2010

i am similar, but with english muffins! here are my combos:

slice of tomato + fried egg + cheddar

cream cheese + spinach leaves

avocado slices + salt + pepper

brie + pear slices

cheddar + apple slices

ham slice + lettuce leaf + cheddar
posted by crawfo at 8:58 AM on July 9, 2010 [1 favorite]

For some variety, you might appreciate Wasa Crackerbread Lighter and fluffier than Crispbread (though that's pretty good too) kind of like a sheet of puffed cheeto material without cheese powder. Just as light and crunchy as Rice Cakes, but thinner so two slices can be used in lieu of bread for sandwich-like constructions.

My favorite toppings lately are
goat cheese with jalapeno jelly and
provalone cheese with (turkey) pepperoni slices, drizzled with Balsamic reduction
posted by cross_impact at 9:52 AM on July 9, 2010

Mashed avocado and a seasoning you like. I use this.
posted by BlahLaLa at 10:19 AM on July 9, 2010

They can be used sort of like granola. Try crumbling them into a bowl and serve with yogurt and fruit.
posted by wowbobwow at 12:21 PM on July 9, 2010

Nutella.
posted by jeffamaphone at 12:40 PM on July 9, 2010

Oh man, a poached, soft-boiled, or over-easy egg sounds lovely. A little salsa or guacamole wouldn't hurt.
posted by willpie at 12:41 PM on July 9, 2010

Pesto, olive tapenade.
posted by lakeroon at 12:46 PM on July 9, 2010

I am a big fan of rice cakes with almond butter (and sometimes a tiny sprinkling of kosher salt). Just a little bit of almond butter goes a long way for me, whereas I need a lot of peanut butter to feel satisfied. Cashew butter is also delicious.
posted by shamash at 1:37 PM on July 9, 2010

I like the chocolate flavoured ones -- and top them with peanut buttter and banana slices.
posted by kattyann at 8:48 PM on July 10, 2010

« Older What am I doing to my foot?   |   I need a laptop for photo work Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.