Where to post my rental in NY?

What are some good places in NY to post my apartment for rent?

My wife and I are looking for (sorta) like-minded people, and the well-beaten path of Craigslist just doesn't deliver anymore. We're looking for interesting people, maybe a little unusual or – as much as I hesitate to use this word – arty. Perhaps it's better stated that we're looking to stay off the beaten path. We've been using the Nonsense list and Stephanie Diamond's and have gotten good responses, but want to spread the word a little more. Thanks.
posted by hellbient to Human Relations (8 answers total)

Streeteasy.com?
posted by dfriedman at 2:27 PM on June 29, 2010

Airbnb.com is what you're looking for. It was founded by a couple of RISD undergrads, was then given venture capital by YCombinator, and gets a lot of traffic now.
posted by gacxllr9 at 4:26 PM on June 29, 2010

Hi - just clarifying are you looking to find a housemate to share with you and your wife? Or someone to sublet your whole apartment?

Airbnb is great but I think it's used more for short term subletting (both of a room or of whole place).
posted by nothing too obvious at 5:46 PM on June 29, 2010

Response by poster: Yeah, sorry, it's my wife and I looking for a housemate, on the top floor of our house.
posted by hellbient at 8:14 PM on June 29, 2010

How about the old fashioned method... fliers at a local cafe where like minded people tend to hang out.
posted by bobafet at 8:32 PM on June 29, 2010

Response by poster: Yeah, we did a little bit of that, boba.
posted by hellbient at 8:57 PM on June 29, 2010

Local blogs.
posted by micawber at 12:53 PM on June 30, 2010

Email friends with something short/condensed to pass on... post on Facebook Marketplace (I think that still exists).

Do you participate in any activities/communities that have newsletters or email lists?
posted by polexa at 9:09 PM on June 30, 2010

« Older Creepy Crawlies on my door   |   Handling a VC opportunity Newer »