Short story about Tefillin as Bondage gear?

Short story about a man who brings Tefillin (phylacteries) on a date and ends up using them as bondage gear?

That's about all I remember from the story itself. I think the protagonist was orthodox. He may not have brought them with him, but rather had them at his home. The important part is that start off as a religious object and end up as a sex object.

I seem to think that it won some sort of internet short-story contest, and that I saw it online about 5-6 years ago, probably on one of the Jewschool/Jewlicious/Jewcy type of Jewish blogs.

Does anyone else remember this story? Can you help me find it?
posted by milestogo to Grab Bag (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I'm pretty sure this is from a poem by Yona Wallach called "Tefillin".
posted by leesh at 4:10 PM on June 17, 2010

I thought I still had the book I first read it in (this one) but can't find my copy to transcribe it for you--sorry!
posted by leesh at 4:12 PM on June 17, 2010

Not exactly what you're looking for but in a very similar vein:

Leonard Nimoy (of Star Trek fame) is also an accomplished photographer and put out a somewhat controversial photo book a few years ago including, among other things, a picture of a semi-nude woman wearing tefillin (NSFW).
posted by holterbarbour at 4:23 PM on June 17, 2010

Aside from not having the Hebrew, Wallach's poem is reproduced here.
posted by fairytale of los angeles at 4:46 PM on June 17, 2010

I vaguely remember reading this, I think in Guilt and Pleasure magazine, but I can't seem to find it in their archives.
posted by honeybee413 at 8:02 PM on June 17, 2010

Response by poster: Thanks, all. The poem seems related but I'm sure it was a short story.

No one?
posted by milestogo at 4:31 PM on June 18, 2010

« Older Flying domestic with lots of cash   |   Negotiations, round 2 Newer »