BREAKING NEWS: buy this car, iPad, insurance
June 16, 2010 10:29 AM   Subscribe

I've seen this stock photo used again and again over the last few months. My question: why this picture?

I see this photo on almost a daily basis these days. She appears everywhere from MSNBC.com to Facebook to, uh, some (very) adultish sites. In each case, a different product is being promoted.

I'm assuming that stock photos of female reporters are a dime a dozen. Why are advertisers gravitating toward this picture?
posted by ASM to Media & Arts (10 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

She's a French news anchor named Mélissa Theuriau, voted "TV's sexiest news anchor", among other things.
posted by djb at 10:32 AM on June 16, 2010

Best answer: Previously.
posted by nitsuj at 10:33 AM on June 16, 2010

Best answer: Because it's Melisa Theuriau, the French newscaster. At some point, the internet (or at least enough internet forums like reddit.com and digg.com) deemed her beautiful and became fascinated with her, enough that googling "French newscaster" brings up her name as the first result.
posted by sharkfu at 10:36 AM on June 16, 2010

Response by poster: Thanks, nitsuj. I should have dug through the archives a bit more.
posted by ASM at 10:36 AM on June 16, 2010

My guess is that online marketers have data that her photo generates more clickthroughs that their other options. Online marketing is very, very numbers-driven for stuff like this.
posted by GuyZero at 10:43 AM on June 16, 2010 [1 favorite]

As a sideline, is her image a real stock photo, is she really willing to sponsor all those products or is she getting screwed?
posted by mmascolino at 11:15 AM on June 16, 2010

It's a screencap.
posted by holgate at 11:41 AM on June 16, 2010

As a sideline, is her image a real stock photo, is she really willing to sponsor all those products or is she getting screwed?

This is a complicated question but most likely she is not seeing any money from this. It involves model releases that most stock agencies require, people who are visible personalities like this would never sign a release like that. A quick search on stock sites doesn't bring anything up so no, she isn't paid.
posted by infinitefloatingbrains at 12:49 PM on June 16, 2010

No, it's not a real stock photo, those are stolen images. They just grabbed random pictures and use them in the ads.
posted by delmoi at 1:07 PM on June 16, 2010

Mélissa Theuriau generator, there may be more out there. (Sorry world!!)

http://www.imagegenerator.net/create/newscaster/
posted by santogold at 11:47 PM on June 19, 2010

« Older Good tide pools near Santa Barbara CA?   |   What is this flying bug? [links to pics inside]. Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.