Pinhole camera time?

Google-fu fails: I built a plasticam pinhole camera last year. I then printed out a guide of how long to expose the film. Then I lost it!

It basically said how long to expose the film in different situations (sunny, cloudy, indoors, etc.).

I assume it would have been linked to from here or here, since those are the pages I looked at, but I can't find it!

Anyone know how long to expose for (using standard 35mm film) or can find the exact thing I had?
posted by R a c h e l to Media & Arts (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Oh! I think the film was 400-speed, but I can't remember. Would that make sense/be about right? It was standard film for film cameras, from the drugstore.
posted by R a c h e l at 3:35 PM on May 29, 2010

I'm not sure about pinhole cameras, but I've always carried around a copy of the charts from Fred Parker's ultimate Exposure Guide.
posted by kaudio at 3:40 PM on May 29, 2010

Was this what you were looking for?
posted by 200burritos at 3:41 PM on May 29, 2010

Nevermind, it's 200 speed film.

200 burritos, it's not the same, but it seems similar. the weird part is, the time son this guide are very different from that - last thing I took with that guide, I was in a sunny room, and left the shutter open for five minutes as per the guide that I had. Weird. Any smart people want to explain why the difference and how I can roughly tell how long to leave it open? I'm thinking a good trial and error session is in order.
posted by R a c h e l at 3:58 PM on May 29, 2010

There's a link to a PDF file in the last paragraph of the story you linked to.

It's on this page.
posted by Benny Andajetz at 4:42 PM on May 29, 2010

Ah, thank you so much! I scoured that page for links but I guess that one slipped through.

Thanks, everybody!
posted by R a c h e l at 5:05 PM on May 29, 2010

For future reference if you run windows, if you know the f-stop of your pinhole you can use the pinhole designer to make exposure guide charts for the most popular brands of film.
posted by squeak at 6:19 PM on May 29, 2010

« Older Who likes Rugby?   |   Help me find my parents in Suggestion for a... Newer »