Could Gorilla Glue save my lamp?

How can I repair chips on a 1950's cast plaster lamp to prevent further deterioration?

I bought a 1950's cast plaster lamp. It was damaged and has chunks of plaster missing from them. Luckily, I can arrange the lamp so the chip is invisible but I'm worried about further deterioration. I have a small chunk that came off (.5" diameter).

Because aging plaster seemed beyond my skills, I took it to a restoration expert in my area. He quoted me a repair estimate that was significantly higher than I paid for the lamp, and well outside my means.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't take, say, Gorilla glue, and glue the piece back in? Basically my goal is to prevent the lamp from crumbling away. Thanks!
posted by stewiethegreat to Grab Bag (3 answers total)

Can we get a pic?
posted by Duffington at 6:53 PM on May 26, 2010

Response by poster: Absolutely. Here are the chips, here is the base of the lamp, here's midway up the lamp, and here's a second chip midway up the lamp (2 chips, one chunk)
posted by stewiethegreat at 7:02 PM on May 26, 2010

I don't know how well it would work with the plaster but in my experience with Gorilla Glue, as it dries it foams and the foam comes out of the cracks and is very difficult to remove.
posted by bDiddy at 7:14 AM on May 27, 2010

« Older The Book of Eli   |   Is a reported lost passport still valid as proof... Newer »