What textbook will guide me through my own muscular system?

Which textbook will guide me through my own muscular system?

As a student of yoga, I am interested in learning more about my muscular system. My general aim is to locate and understand the function and operation of all the muscles in my body. To this end, I'd like to find a book with lots of helpful diagrams and explanations. Is Gray's Anatomy the book for me? If so, which edition would be cost-effective for a casual learner?
posted by chickenandwine to Health & Fitness (10 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

The Anatomy Coloring Book is fantastic.
posted by ginky at 5:56 PM on May 24, 2010

Trail Guide to the Body.
posted by headnsouth at 6:02 PM on May 24, 2010

Get an anatomy book with real photos of cadavers. It's so much easer making the connection of pictures to your own muscles when it's actually photos of muscles, ligaments etc. not drawings.
posted by smoke at 6:31 PM on May 24, 2010

My muscle physiology course used this textbook. While it is very good, it might be too difficult for you.
posted by halogen at 6:53 PM on May 24, 2010

There is an absolutely fantastic yoga/anatomy textbook that I'm planning to work my way through this summer (I figure it will help a lot with my PTA studies). It has both muscle physiology and *very* detailed anatomy:

Anatomy of Hatha Yoga by Coulter.
posted by purlgurly at 6:54 PM on May 24, 2010

There is a series of book by Frank Netter, M.D., published by CIBA that you should check out.
posted by mlis at 7:07 PM on May 24, 2010

I used Human Anatomy and Physiology by Alexander P. Spence and Elliott B. Mason for my studies. An amazing book. I think it's the only one I didn't sell / donate / discard, and I still reference it occasionally.

But I would assume there's tens of dozens of books just as good.

I respectfully disagree with the "get an anatomy book with real photos of cadavers" comment above. To me it's like the stylized London subway maps vs. a real London subway map.

Even working with cadavers, I appreciated having "Spence & Mason" as a back up as to exactly what I was supposed to be seeing.
posted by uncanny hengeman at 8:04 PM on May 24, 2010

(I am a PT student) I don't own Trail Guide to the Body but it is quite good at helping you locate muscles. I believe it also lists the functions. Don't get a cadaver anatomy book as those contain incredibly complex photos full of muscles and nerves and bones and arteries and and and!

I LOVE Netter. Sadly, it does not give the actions or the innervations of the muscles but does show the locations and origins and insertions. I love Netter because it's goal is to teach. To that end, it contains beautiful painted pictures of the body. The pictures are true to life but only display the relevant portions of the anatomy. For example, in the musculoskeletal chapter a picture of an arm will show all of the muscles with a few major blood vessels or nerves. Complicated (and therefore distracting) blood vessel or nerve networks are reserved for the other pictures in which they are relevant.

Here are a couple websites to get you started:

http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscularsystem/menu/menu.html
http://www.rad.washington.edu/academics/academic-sections/msk/muscle-atlas
posted by ticketmaster10 at 8:12 PM on May 24, 2010

I was going to come in and recommend Anatomy of Hatha Yoga by Coulter as well, and it's already here!
posted by susanbeeswax at 10:56 PM on May 24, 2010

+1 for trail guide to the body. It gives a reasonable outline of muscular anatomy, how to find them, what they do, etc.

There are a few errors in the text, but it will be a good start for you.
posted by flutable at 5:52 AM on May 25, 2010

« Older Check, mate! Help ID this illustrated chess book...   |   Is my neighbor, my thief? Newer »