OSX Open With Menu Problem

I'm having the same problem as stated in this question from 2006.

The command that solved the problem then doesn't work on my new Macbook Pro. I'm running version 10.6.3. I tried with and without the "sudo" portion and neither worked. Anyone have any insight as to a solution? Here's a screen shot that shows the menu opened up and showing the problem.
posted by moosedogtoo to Computers & Internet (7 answers total)

The location of 'lsregister' has changed since then.

Read this, and try the command listed for Snow Leopard. I've never had to do this myself, but I suspect it's what you're looking for.
posted by fairytale of los angeles at 7:24 PM on May 23, 2010

Oh, and it might need sudo.
posted by fairytale of los angeles at 7:26 PM on May 23, 2010

Apparently, Titanium's Maintenance can also clean up the Launch Services database without resorting to the command line.
posted by teg at 7:26 PM on May 23, 2010

Maintain's Cocktail will do rebuild your Launch Services database and a bunch of other things besides.
posted by infinitewindow at 7:37 PM on May 23, 2010

My favorite for a couple of years has been Onyx. Same people who do Titanium, same price (free) and I use it all the time. I used to recommend Cocktail before it became shareware (but I own it too.)
posted by filmgeek at 8:10 PM on May 23, 2010

Ok I tried Cocktail and Maintenance as suggested and neither fixed the problem. I went to fairytale of los angeles' link and copied and pasted the command into the terminal. My result was as follows:
ThrottleProcessIO: throttling disk i/o
but it still didn't fix the problem. Any other ideas? I hate to drag this thing down to the Apple Store because the one here, quite frankly, sucks.
posted by moosedogtoo at 8:13 PM on May 23, 2010

Here's an update for anyone who might have this same issue in the future. I called Apple support today (thank god for Apple Care!!!) and they went through the disk repair utility and did a permissions repair. That didn't fix it, so they had me do an archive and reinstall of the OS. Unfortunately, that didn't fix it either. I'm going to give it a rest for today and call them again tomorrow. I guess if I have to just live with it, it's not a big deal, but I'm curious as to what the real problem is.
posted by moosedogtoo at 2:42 PM on May 24, 2010

« Older Modern vs bygone home building techniques   |   Over Worked Marine Biologist Filter Newer »