Wireless Switched Outlets?
May 21, 2010 12:56 PM   Subscribe

Is there any easy, non-invasive, relatively inexpensive way to turn a wall outlet into a switched outlet?

I want a wireless wall-switch that I can glue on the wall or put behind a standard switch plate that communicates with a physically separate outlet box. I don't want to have to snake wires between the wall switch and the outlet.

I don't want to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars and I don't want to spend the next year turning my entire house into a remote-control x10 project. I just want to pop in one or two switched outlets.

A few years ago I thought ZigBee would be good for this sort of thing, but it looks like ZigBee is targeting much more complex, high-end installations. I have no interest in that. This should be a $30 purchase from Home Depot and a 90 second installation.
posted by alms to Home & Garden (8 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
Here's a bunch of google shopping results for wireless switched outlet.

posted by Babblesort at 1:00 PM on May 21, 2010

Look into the "as seen on TV" section of Walmart. You'll find one!
posted by dustoff at 1:19 PM on May 21, 2010

We have several of these at home, and they work great. You should be able to find them at Home Depot, especially if you can find someone to ask. (yes, I know, not likely, but it is possible.)

We actually got 1 at Costco which controlled 3 different outlets from 1 small remote, which we mounted on the wall.
posted by JMOZ at 1:59 PM on May 21, 2010

For what it's worth, I've had switched outlets un-switched, and un-switched outlets switched (to an existing wall switch, mind you) for less than $100 each, and that's in the pricey-contractor-land of Los Angeles (with electricians I chose for reasons other than being cheap.) That included digging through walls. So consider getting an estimate or two, at least; you may be surprised by the relatively low expense (when compared to these wireless solutions that require battery replacement over a lifetime.)
posted by davejay at 2:25 PM on May 21, 2010

clap on, clap off
posted by massysett at 3:59 PM on May 21, 2010

The Belkin Energy Saving Surge Strip (amazon.com link for this product) has solved this problem for me. I mounted the remote control on the wall by my front door, plugged a lamp into the strip, and VOILA! Switched outlet!

This was one of my favorite birthday presents this year. There are likely many other products like this, and I'm not sure if this is at all what you're looking for (maybe a little on the "wires everywhere" side for you), but I love it and it could serve as a solution to what you are looking for.
posted by kellygrape at 6:03 PM on May 21, 2010

Response by poster: Clearly I should have googled without the "Zigbee"! duh. Thanks for all the answers, now I have a weekend errand.
posted by alms at 6:58 PM on May 21, 2010

Z-wave outlet with control should run you ~$40. I've used Z-wave in my house for a few years and had no issues. Easy to expand as well.




posted by wongcorgi at 11:47 PM on May 21, 2010

« Older Mission Impossible: Student Loan   |   Multiple Calendars on one Outlook Account Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.