You can call me any time you wanna grind

I want to brush up on my Hawaiian Pidgin. Are there any movies or books that contain a *lot* of good dialogue for me to soak up?
posted by freshwater_pr0n to Writing & Language (5 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Dakine brah.
posted by Muirwylde at 10:10 PM on May 20, 2010

O0Oops. Sistah.
posted by Muirwylde at 10:13 PM on May 20, 2010

Seconding Muirwylde's link -- Pidgin to da Max and Pidgin to da Max Hana Hou, available in one convenient 25th anniversary edition.
posted by somanyamys at 5:30 AM on May 21, 2010

Thirding PTDM & PTDM2, but just a heads-up: those books were written in the 80s. Just like English and every other language, new words have been added which (if your intention is to have conversations) may not be covered in these books. Urban Dictionary might help you with some of them.

And, FWIW, I'd say the heart of pidgin lies in the grammar, anyway. It's almost as if the way of life has infected the thinking, which in turn affects the language.

/proper English

k den.
posted by the NATURAL at 3:59 AM on May 22, 2010

« Older You gotta be kidding me...   |   How do I make this chart in Excel 2007? Newer »